Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2007 Water Leak, Passenger Cabin Area ??

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2015, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Water Leak, Passenger Cabin Area ??

I have recently inherited my friends 2007 Equinox LS. I'm in the process of chasing a water leak, and would like to get a bit of advise before I start dissasembling the vehicle.

I have been able to produce the leak by running water along the roof line, just above the windshield seal. A key note, this vehicle is not equipt with a sunroof. A gallon of water run along the roof line will produce ~6oz of water on my passenger side floor board.

I have removed the carpet, and can physically see a small trickle of water flowing down the firewall and floorboard from somewhere under the dash. If you are sitting in the passenger seat, the position in which the stream flows would be directly under your right foot, for frame of reference (right to left of the passenger carpartment).

Would appreciate any guidance or suggestions of area's I should troubleshoot
Old July 7th, 2015, 8:39 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

You should inspect the cabin air filter and the cowl drain passage before doing anything else. To do this you need to remove the plastic access panel on the top right side of the cowl just under the passenger side wiper. This will reveal the cabin air filter and you will be able to see if the drain is clear. The drain is located in the center of the cowl. You can see the rubber boot for it just behind the ignition coil near the center of the firewall.

I recently also had a leak in the same area. In my case it turned out to be a bad cabin air filter. It looked like a mouse had chewed up the middle of the filter which weakened it and caused the middle of it sag outside of the opening in which it is supposed to reside. The filter I had previously installed about four years ago was one of those fancy charcoal filters with a thick element that is supposed to filter out foul scents. The thick filter media that was sagging was catching water and funneling it right into the HVAC system.

We have had our Equinox for almost 7 years and haven't had any problem with leaks until this came up. Ours also doesn't have the sunroof. I found a TSB for the 2007 Equinox/Torrent which addresses a problem with the body sealant being displaced and causing a leak in the area near the front right strut tower and firewall. The TSB didn't say, but it appeared that removal of the entire dash was necessary to apply new sealant to the suspected area. I was afraid this might be my problem before discovering the bad cabin air filter. I haven't had any leaks since replacing it almost a month ago, and it has been through numerous heavy downpours. I used MicroGard p/n 3039 from O'Reilly Auto Parts which is nearly identical to the OEM part. It even had the GM part number stamped into the vertical plastic tabs.

Hopefully your fix is as easy as mine was.