Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Chevy Equinox-Moisture in passenger headlamp unit

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2020, 12:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Equinox-Moisture in passenger headlamp unit

I’ve had moisture in my passenger headlamp unit for quite a while. I remember this having started after I had incorrectly installed the side light bulb and it was not seated in the housing.

Recently I decided to investigate and watched a few YouTube videos on removing the moisture.. On opening the unit I found ( not visible externally) about 50 ml of water stuck at the bottom which fell out from the headlamp opening. The sealing does not appear damaged. Most YouTube videos talk about vet tubes and drain holes.I observed no vent holes/drain holes in the headlamp unit.

After pulling out all of the moisture using a Vacuum in the sidelight port. It was completely dry. I reinstalled the unit and 2 days later there is moisture again in the headlamp.

Can someone help me with their experiences in eliminating this moisture

Old December 30th, 2020, 10:24 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by David DSa
I’ve had moisture in my passenger headlamp unit for quite a while. I remember this having started after I had incorrectly installed the side light bulb and it was not seated in the housing.

Recently I decided to investigate and watched a few YouTube videos on removing the moisture.. On opening the unit I found ( not visible externally) about 50 ml of water stuck at the bottom which fell out from the headlamp opening. The sealing does not appear damaged. Most YouTube videos talk about vet tubes and drain holes.I observed no vent holes/drain holes in the headlamp unit.

After pulling out all of the moisture using a Vacuum in the sidelight port. It was completely dry. I reinstalled the unit and 2 days later there is moisture again in the headlamp.

Can someone help me with their experiences in eliminating this moisture
There are three vents on the back of each headlamp assembly. Two of them can be seen in this picture. The round glossy black plugs are actually removable vents that have filters in them to keep out contaminants/insects. I fought the plastic fading and moisture/condensation for almost two years before biting the bullet and buying a pair of new ones. If you can afford it, that's what I recommend.
Old December 31st, 2020, 7:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Ruley73. You are truly a wealth of knowledge.

I will look out for a new headlamp.