Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 equinox sport

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 10:35 PM
KSR
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 equinox sport

Hey all, I'm new here and the new owner of a 2008 equinox sport. I'm interested in knowing as much as I can about a vehicle like this. What are the known issues/problems have they had?? I've heard the 3.6 engine is somewhat new so I know there has to be some bugs in it somewhere. Same goes with the 6-spd trans. I hear they're prety reliable, but I'd rather hear it from other owners or people who work on them every day... What about maintenance on the trans? I was told they don't have a filter and are a flush-only trans. Is this true? I'm also not sure about the 100K trans fliud change interval. Seems like a long time to me but if GM says so... Looking forward to hear comments. Like I said...I'm interested to learn anything you guys have to say about this equinox. Thanks in advance!
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Change your oil often. The 3.6L LY7 engine tends to stretch timing chains, enough that the OLM target was modified for the 5k interval vs. the original 10k (both under ideal, highway miles) at least on the 2011 Malibu. I'm not sure if yours had the PCM update but take the OLM percentage with a grain of salt.
Old February 27th, 2012, 9:12 PM
KSR
CF Beginner

Thanks. That definitely helps as I will be doing most of the maintenance on this vehicle. Gives me a heads-up on something to be looking for. Anything else anyone can tell me??
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:11 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2008 Equinox Sport timing chain

well just got back from the dealership. they said that the timing chain on my equinox was done already at 48k miles and now has 92k miles on it. done prior by the original owner. now they are telling me that the chain was only covered by a 1 year 12k mile warranty only! what bull****!! you can go to a shop and get brakes or tires put on your car that have a better warranty than this!! I've been a GM person all my life but I swear that if they don't try and make this right then this guy is going to a different brand that actually stands by the stuff they put on peoples cars.
Old April 28th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hello chrishuntfish2,

We apologize for any frustration. When the timing chain was replaced, it was covered under the parts warranty which is 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Since the part is needing to be replaced again, we would be happy to reach out to your dealership for further information; however, we cannot guarantee that cost assistance will be provided. Please feel free to send a private message at any time if you would like additional assistance.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by chrishuntfish2
well just got back from the dealership. they said that the timing chain on my equinox was done already at 48k miles and now has 92k miles on it. done prior by the original owner. now they are telling me that the chain was only covered by a 1 year 12k mile warranty only! what bull****!! you can go to a shop and get brakes or tires put on your car that have a better warranty than this!! I've been a GM person all my life but I swear that if they don't try and make this right then this guy is going to a different brand that actually stands by the stuff they put on peoples cars.
Old October 18th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah one thing I learned about my equinox sport is that the transmission (6T70), which is a ford/gm collaboration, tends to have a wave plate issue for 3,5, and reverse. Under normal driving habits this plate can sheer and allow the valves in the transmission to over-extend, effectively shredding some of the innards. There is a service bulletin, the number is slipping my mind, but it is a common problem that occurs usually around 70-80k miles. Mine went and it was an 1800 dollar fix after GM paid their half. Also the hydraulic power steering on my sports went right before the tranny did. Other than that and the timing chain, I hear great things about the LY7 motor. (3.6L)
Old November 28th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Equinox 2006 AWD

My Chevy Equinox ABS and TC is always on and there is a funny noise from my tyre the drivers side. i have taken it to 4 local mechanic. They have virtually checked every sort of tyre rod, leakages and the noise keep coming up. When am on smooth road the noise will disppear but on a rough road it comes up again. Funny enough the vehicle moves well.

A new mechanic told me that i should change the Brake Sensor - ABS.

Now, can a brake sensor send such funny noise to my wheels?