Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2008 Equinox Sport - Buy or No?

Search this Thread

Old October 10th, 2016, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2008 Equinox Sport - Buy or No?

Hello! I'm considering the purchase of a '08 Sport FWD with 91K miles on it. I test drove it over the weekend and thought it was very nice. I really like it, but after reading the scary information about the timing chain I'm getting cold feet. Is it still a very rare occurrence or is this not a vehicle I should be considering? I can't buy a car that I'm going to need to sink thousands into in the very near future. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

- Dave
Old October 11th, 2016, 5:11 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Stay away from it. The 3.6L engine and 6-speed transmission the 2008-2009 Equinox Sport has were both problematic around that time. If you are interested in an Equinox, I recommend either a 2007-2009 FWD w/3.4L engine or a 2013+ w/3.6L engine (AWD or FWD).
Old October 11th, 2016, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much for your reply, ruley73. It's a real bummer, I really liked it. Everything that makes it a Sport (engine, suspension, steering) is what I liked about about it and isn't on the other variants, so I guess I'll just have to keep looking. Thanks again!