Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2009 Chevy Equinox p0520 code oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old January 17th, 2024, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Chevy Equinox p0520 code oil pressure switch

Hello, to anyone who has experience with chevy equinox. I recently bought a 09 equinox ltz. Seller was a dealership/auto shop. No codes when bought. But shortly after purchase I got a code for misfire. It would only studder when uphill or around 40mph. Now I got a code for oil pressure sensor and it idles fine when in park but as soon as I put it in drive it gives a growl/grind. It's not giving me any cam codes or timing chain codes. Just oil pressure switch. I've bought the part, I've got a full shop with car lift and all. I have moderate experience with vehicle repairs but I lack in timing and internals having little experience in that area. Does this sound like a bigger issue or is it possible this oil pressure switch is just not allowing proper oil pressure to the timing chain and causing this growl in drive and while accelerating. I ask because I don't want to risk throwing that chain off track and creating a bigger issue/fix if I can avoid it. Any and all help would be amazing. As I said before I have moderate experience and more than enough equipment and tools to do most things. I don't claim to be anything special or be a expert in any feild just a daily working father. I work hard and barely make it by. I'm just trying to fix this car I'm still paying off so I don't end up without a vehicle to get to work with while still paying the bill for it thank you and God bless.
Old January 17th, 2024, 7:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

is there oil in it?
The following users liked this post:
BlueOx (January 18th, 2024)
Old January 17th, 2024, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
is there oil in it?
yes sir. Oil level is good.
Old January 18th, 2024, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 658 Likes on 597 Posts

how many miles? Did you very oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?
Old January 18th, 2024, 1:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
how many miles? Did you very oil pressure with a mechanical gauge?
178k and no I don't have a Guage. I bought the new oil pressure switch since it was just a 12 dollar part and I don't need a oil change just yet but I'm gonna change it anyway when I swap the switch. It's a 3.4. There's no visible sings of the timing chain hitting the cover or anything. It's runs fine when in park. But once in drive it gives a growl kinda hum. The idle is very up and down also it varies 4 to 6 under rpm instead of steady idle. Goes kinda past 1k rpm then under repetitively.
Old January 18th, 2024, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep your wallet in your pocket and don't overthink this. Change the switch out and see what you get. Breathe
Old January 18th, 2024, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BlueOx
Keep your wallet in your pocket and don't overthink this. Change the switch out and see what you get. Breathe
That's what I'm hoping. I think I'm being over worried because I just got the vehicle and am still paying it off. But I also have a good feeling this will be a simple fix. Fingers crossed. I'm also in Iowa for my first winter. I have no experience with how cars act in the super cold Temps. It's been below zero for the past week and I work nights when it's coldest. I know that plays hell on manifolds and oil if it's not rated for cold.
Old January 21st, 2024, 6:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Alkepgeist18
That's what I'm hoping. I think I'm being over worried because I just got the vehicle and am still paying it off. But I also have a good feeling this will be a simple fix. Fingers crossed. I'm also in Iowa for my first winter. I have no experience with how cars act in the super cold Temps. It's been below zero for the past week and I work nights when it's coldest. I know that plays hell on manifolds and oil if it's not rated for cold.
It doesn't get cold enough to affect much in Iowa (I live there too). You shouldn't have much trouble as long as you're using the recommended 5w-30 oil.