Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

201 Equinox will not start / locks up

Search this Thread

Old February 20th, 2012, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 201 Equinox will not start / locks up

I have experienced my 2010 Chevy Equinox (25 K miles) choosing to lock my key in the ignition and not start, and it does this randomly, so i can never replicate for a dealership. It is very strange. I put the key in and turn to the on position(not started), I then turn it to ignite the engine, and it instead locks the key it it's place and you cannot get the key out and there are no messages being displayed on the dash. trying to turn the steering wheel to get the key out doesn't work either. The only solution I've found to this is to pop my hood, and then close the hood, get back in the car and start it again, and it works. i can then turn the car off and start it again no problem. ...no problems until the next time it randomly happens. My fear is that this is part of a bigger problem with the electrical system and something COULD lock up like this while driving and cause an accident.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your situation rings a bell with me: we had left our 2010 'Nox in the garage at home for nearly seven weeks recently and upon our return, the signal from the key fob would not open unlock the doors and once the key was in the lock, the car would not start. Additionally, the lock would not release the key.
We called for roadside assistance and a gentleman came out, juiced the battery from a hand-held device, and started the car. Additionally, the key was released.
A couple of things going on here: 1) a current draw slowly draining the battery and 2) a system to disconnect the battery before it gets ruined by going totally flat.
My guess for your situation is that there is an issue with the battery disconnect system on your 'Nox.
HTH
Old April 4th, 2012, 8:25 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> duellychevy,

Based on your description, this may be caused by an improperly functioning ignition lock cylinder control solenoid. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to have to vehicle inspected by a certified technician, they will be able to offer additional information.

Louis
GM Customer Service