Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ transmission failure at 80,000 miles.

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2016, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ transmission failure at 80,000 miles.

I just bought this 2010 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ from a nearby dealership at 76K miles. It is in pristine condition. I am beyond their 3 month/3000 miles used car warranty. Now at 80K miles I am driving along to work yesterday morning and the transmission simply failed, it went right out. I was using cruise control and it started to tach out. I popped off the cruise control and the RPMs came back down to normal. I pressed the accelerator to get back up to speed and to my disbelief, I had RPMs, but no power, I was coasting. I was able to coast it into a turn lane where I tried turning it off and back on, Reverse, Drive, and Manual, to no avail. I had AAA take it to my preferred dealership where they told me it was burned up and needed to be replaced.

This transmission is going to cost me $4000 + 7% tax. A transmission should not be burning up at 80,000 miles. To get this vehicle, I got rid of my 2007 Chevrolet HHR that had over 320,000 miles on it before the transmission solenoids began to fail. Now this thing blows at 80K. After doing some research last night, I found that this seems to be common for the 2010 Equinox. Why isn't there a recall on this thing? It seems there must be a problem with the design and for that Chevrolet seems culpable to bear some or all of the expense of a prematurely failing transmission. I am very disappointed with Chevrolet on this.