Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Chevy Aveo Major Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2017, 2:37 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Chevy Aveo Major Fuel Leak

When filling my Chevy Aveo today, the pump didn't stop when it was full and it started to spew out the fuel tank and drip down over the transmission pan. I'm not sure if there is a hole in the gas tank, or if there is a safety mechanism built into it to stop overfilling. After driving it for a while the leak appears to have stopped. Any ideas about what is happening here?

Last edited by coreyhillm; September 12th, 2017 at 2:40 PM.
Old September 12th, 2017, 6:35 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyhillm
When filling my Chevy Aveo today, the pump didn't stop when it was full and it started to spew out the fuel tank and drip down over the transmission pan. I'm not sure if there is a hole in the gas tank, or if there is a safety mechanism built into it to stop overfilling. After driving it for a while the leak appears to have stopped. Any ideas about what is happening here?
1) You posted in the Equinox Forum. The Aveo forum is here.
2) There's nothing wrong with your car. The fuel overfill "safety mechanism" is actually built into every fuel nozzle at any gas station. How it works is remarkably simple. You can click here to read more about it. The fuel nozzle you used was malfunctioning and caused the overfill. The "leak" you observed was probably just fuel that ran down the outside of the fuel filler neck after the tank was overfilled. You have nothing to worry about.