Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2010 Terrain Centre Console Flashing

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2024, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Terrain Centre Console Flashing

I have a 2010 GMC Terrain, close enough to an Equinox, and not sure if coincidence or not but as soon as the snow hit, this happened

Tried a factory reset, when it finally came on and stayed on, and the past few days I was replacing the solenoids so had the battery disconnected. Someone in another thread mentioned a 15min disconnect to reset so, 2 days should really make sure it's reset.

I pulled the CD out, and the USB thumbdrive in case an issue with those and nothing.

Seems the longer it runs, each restart starts to last longer. And it's more a reboot, like a computer restarting than the screen flickering because if just the screen, radio and such should work.

Any ideas other than "take it to the dealer" or "replace the whole thing"...? dealer here is utterly useless, they can't diagnose they just swap parts, and if it's something commonly known like a pad power supply, blown cap, or something, I'm good with soldering just not diagnosing.
Old January 31st, 2024, 6:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

put a test light on the power source. If that stays on steady then it's just a dead unit. Best thing to do is replace with aftermarket.
Old January 31st, 2024, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Aftermarket? they make those? or do you mean something like a Sony or Kenwood? because unfortunately with a dead screen I can see climate control settings.

Power supply located in the deck itself?

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/134134846853...hoC890QAvD_BwE
Old January 31st, 2024, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by THRobinson
Power supply located in the deck itself?
just the power wire going into the back. Usually red or orange. (schematics on charm.li)

Originally Posted by THRobinson
Aftermarket? they make those? or do you mean something like a Sony or Kenwood? because unfortunately with a dead screen I can see climate control settings.
yeah aftermarket. I'm sure somebody has come up with a solution. Check crutchfield website.
Old January 31st, 2024, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Just looking it up... I guess the LCD/computer get the power from the deck? So instead of buying an OEM deck and paying $$$ to program the VIN into it, just grab mount kit and a standard deck and it powers the LCD/computer?

I have a Dodge Ram, gonna be parted out... JVC deck and all the Infinity speakers are the same size. The Pioneer ones are muffled and have no high-end and are 3/4/6ohms. Cructhfield said replace with 4ohm to avoid damage to speakers/deck and well, Dodge is 4ohm... might be able to just swap the Ram audio to the GMC and just need a plastic mount kit? if lucky....

This afternoon the lighst were flickering on and off... just test drove the car a bit to see if engine light comes up, and the console lighst were black the entire time. Not even trying anymore.
Old February 20th, 2024, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Ended up buying a used deck from the scrappers, and instead of $250 at the GM Dealer to reprogram the deck with my VIN, I bought a $15 CH341A reader with clamp, clamped onto the EEPROM chip, used the free software to read it. Mostly gibberish but one line of code that was obviously a VIN, so changed to match my VIN and working again.

$60CAD for a used deck and $15CAD for the chip reader
vs
$1000CAD for a new deck from GM if they can find one, and $250CAD programming with no gurantee they can program it

Dealerships are such a major rip-off.