Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Chevy Equinox No Crank No Start Code PO615

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2023, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Chevy Equinox No Crank No Start Code PO615

HELP!!!! My girlfriend has a 2011 Chevy Equinox with the 2.4. The Timing chain was starting to rattle so I changed it out. The manifold was cracked so I took it off and replaced the water pump and the manifold. Put everything back together and spun the engine a few times by hand with the crank to make sure nothing locked up. Everything was fine. Went to start the engine and I have a no crank no start situation. I put my scan tool on and got a PO615 Code. Fuses are good, the starter relay is good. I get 11 Volts at one of the relay pins and the rest read in the 2 range. Funny thing is, I pulled the cover off of the starter relay, turned the key to the run position, and pressed the contacts at the relay and bam, she starts right up. Shut it off and tried to restart with the key and nothing. Put the ignition in the start position again, manually touched the relay connectors together and she fired right up again. I have checked all of the grounds and my connections. Everything is connected and tight. I replaced the fuse box today and got the same results. This car will not start with the ignition switch unless I manually manipulate the relay. And of course my girlfriend says, it started fine before you replaced the timing chain and parts. I am LOST!!! Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!!!
Old June 16th, 2023, 6:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jlkinser
HELP!!!! My girlfriend has a 2011 Chevy Equinox with the 2.4. The Timing chain was starting to rattle so I changed it out. The manifold was cracked so I took it off and replaced the water pump and the manifold. Put everything back together and spun the engine a few times by hand with the crank to make sure nothing locked up. Everything was fine. Went to start the engine and I have a no crank no start situation. I put my scan tool on and got a PO615 Code. Fuses are good, the starter relay is good. I get 11 Volts at one of the relay pins and the rest read in the 2 range. Funny thing is, I pulled the cover off of the starter relay, turned the key to the run position, and pressed the contacts at the relay and bam, she starts right up. Shut it off and tried to restart with the key and nothing. Put the ignition in the start position again, manually touched the relay connectors together and she fired right up again. I have checked all of the grounds and my connections. Everything is connected and tight. I replaced the fuse box today and got the same results. This car will not start with the ignition switch unless I manually manipulate the relay. And of course my girlfriend says, it started fine before you replaced the timing chain and parts. I am LOST!!! Any ideas???

Thanks in advance!!!
I don't think changing the timing chain would cause this malfunction, but here is the data on P0615

Code P0615 Chevrolet Possible Causes

1. Faulty Starter Relay

2. Starter Relay harness is open or shorted

3. Starter Relay circuit poor electrical connection

4. Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

I did view a vid on Youtube where the owners installed an aftermarket anti-theft system and it ended
up being the ECM gone bad, but that isn't the fault in your case, since it did fire up.
Old June 16th, 2023, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey thank you so much for your reply. SO I did some more work today. I took the wire from the starter solenoid off of the starter and hooked up my test light. When I manually manipulate the in the fuse box
relay, the light will come on meaning I am getting power to the wire that feeds the solenoid. BUT, when I turned the ignition switch to engage the starter solenoid, I don't get any power to the wire. So the problem is between the ignition switch and the fuse box. The relay isn't getting any signal from the ignition switch. Do you think I have a bad ignition switch? I have read that the key may have lost its programming but I would think if that were the case that the car would not start even by manipulating the relay wouldn't it?
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (June 16th, 2023)
Old June 17th, 2023, 2:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by jlkinser
Hey thank you so much for your reply. SO I did some more work today. I took the wire from the starter solenoid off of the starter and hooked up my test light. When I manually manipulate the in the fuse box
relay, the light will come on meaning I am getting power to the wire that feeds the solenoid. BUT, when I turned the ignition switch to engage the starter solenoid, I don't get any power to the wire. So the problem is between the ignition switch and the fuse box. The relay isn't getting any signal from the ignition switch. Do you think I have a bad ignition switch? I have read that the key may have lost its programming but I would think if that were the case that the car would not start even by manipulating the relay wouldn't it?
It could be a bad ignition switch. Might also be a bad or corroded wire. Yeah, it could be in need of reprogramming as well. I'm not sure if you can reprogram it like I can on my 2015 Malibu. Edit: it looks like you can do so if you have a spare programmed FOB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy166-Muhaw

If that doesn't work, the
three-time procedure might work.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 17th, 2023 at 2:34 PM.