Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2011 Chevy Equinox will not start, Key Fob issues

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2016, 5:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 Chevy Equinox will not start, Key Fob issues

So 2 days ago our 2011 Chevy Equinox would not start after we arrived to a party and shut it off. Ended up calling onstar, no issues found. Couldn't even start the car with the app. Left the key in the ignition while on the call with onstar and after about an hour, it seemed to start. Next day went to the store with the kids and when I came out, car wouldn't start. Lights all come on, key fob locks, unlocks, sounds horn...initiates remote start, but car never starts. Got picked up by family and went back later with a second key (the original, the one I had was bought last year at the dealer) but it would not start. took the first key that wouldn't start as well and drove that away about 1/2 a mile away from the car. The second key now started the car...go figure. Got the car home yesterday and now it wont start with either key. Tried taking each key away from the car to see if one of the other would get it out of an immobilized state.

Have access to an scanner and started to run some diagnostics. No codes and every module looks like its working except when I took a look at the anti theft, the scanner is telling me that the security code is initiated but not accepted. I'm thinking there is something going on here. I checked the battery and jumped the starter to make sure I wasn't going crazy, they both seem good to go. I have 2 keys that unlock, lock, and initiate remote start but the car never starts and doesn't start manually with the key either.

I'm thinking of going to the dealer with both keys and the title to see if they can reprogram them, but what would cause this is a mystery. Anyone else run into something like this? I was the immobilizer disabled, can't have this stuff going on and making the car unreliable.
Old September 7th, 2016, 8:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ended up being a bad starter motor. I took a meter and tested for power at the solenoid and then applied an old school technique of whacking the starter with a hammer, and it started. Replaced it and good to go. I just didn't think 80k 5 year old vehicle would need a starter....
The following users liked this post:
April Wright (February 6th, 2021)
Old October 12th, 2017, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starting?

When you say it wouldn't start, did it just not turn over or simply wouldn't even make a noise as though the battery was dead when it truly wasn't?