Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 Chevy Equinox Noises in Rear suspension area

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2018, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile 2012 Chevy Equinox Noises in Rear suspension area

I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox. It has 72,000 miles on it. It has a 3.0 V-6 Engine. LT Body - 4 Door. It has a noise in the rear end, especially at low speeds 30 - 45 mph. The noise sounds exactly like something is loose. Example: Loose shock bolt or nut, A-Frame suspension arm loose bolts. Stabilizer Bar loose and hitting, etc. It Does not have noise at speeds higher than 50 mph. Both Rear Calipers attached to the Brackets are loose, as if they were worn out. Not typical as other vehicles. However even with brakes slightly applied, the noise is still there. This vehicle has been to many repair shops, dealerships, etc. At a total cost of $3,000 to fix the problem. It still has the noises. Sounds like the noise is coming from Both sides, or is being transferred through suspension system. ANY IDEAS ??
The following users liked this post:
Shannonb007 (November 17th, 2021)
Old February 26th, 2018, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you drive it. Does the car shake? Sounds like you may need to check your pinion. Does it sounds kind of like a howling rattle? It still should be under warranty right ?
Old February 26th, 2018, 10:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Equinox Issues

No. The vehicle does not shake when the noise is heard. The vehicle is NOT under any warranties. There are No Technical Bulletins on the problem. There are NO recalls on this problem either. It is a low frequency noise sounding like a hammer tapping somewhere in the rear end. Maybe if there was a differential, it would be in that area. I have been a professional Mechanic for 46 years. Just retired. But took on this project to see if I can help. At first even I did not hear the noise. But after driving it with the customer, It is easy to spot now. One of the more difficult problems I have encountered.
Old January 17th, 2021, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Repairing Mystery Slow Speed Bumps Rattling 2015 V6 FWD Chevy Equinox

Originally Posted by Duane Ernst
I have a 2012 Chevy Equinox. It has 72,000 miles on it. It has a 3.0 V-6 Engine. LT Body - 4 Door. It has a noise in the rear end, especially at low speeds 30 - 45 mph. The noise sounds exactly like something is loose. Example: Loose shock bolt or nut, A-Frame suspension arm loose bolts. Stabilizer Bar loose and hitting, etc. It Does not have noise at speeds higher than 50 mph. Both Rear Calipers attached to the Brackets are loose, as if they were worn out. Not typical as other vehicles. However even with brakes slightly applied, the noise is still there. This vehicle has been to many repair shops, dealerships, etc. At a total cost of $3,000 to fix the problem. It still has the noises. Sounds like the noise is coming from Both sides, or is being transferred through suspension system. ANY IDEAS ??
I replaced the Rear trailing arm bushings on my 2015 V6 FWD Equinox at 40K miles. Upon visual inspection, it is not obvious that the bushings are bad. The large-ish internal rubber/aluminum bushings still had the rubber intact and where not moving around loosely, like I've experienced with other vehicles. The rubber was very pliable and would make a rattle sound when hit with a mallet or "popped" or "plucked" with a pry bar. The new aftermarket bushing's rubber was very firm and was not easily deflected, while the old part was. Bushings were Dorman part number 523-295, Rear Suspension Trailing Arm Bushing, 1 Pack. They are ordered as singles from Amazon for $38 each (JAN 2021). You can also order a pair of trailing arm assembles for $160 per pair. If you do not have a hydraulic press, that is my recommendation. I had also installed new KYB gas shocks first chasing this noise, but to no avail.
Old October 2nd, 2023, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 2014 2WD Equinox rear end noise

Originally Posted by Michael Benedict
I replaced the Rear trailing arm bushings on my 2015 V6 FWD Equinox at 40K miles. Upon visual inspection, it is not obvious that the bushings are bad. The large-ish internal rubber/aluminum bushings still had the rubber intact and were wherenot moving around loosely, like I've experienced with other vehicles. The rubber was very pliable and would make a rattle sound when hit with a mallet or "popped" or "plucked" with a pry bar. The new aftermarket bushing's rubber was very firm and was not easily deflected, while the old part was. Bushings were Dorman part number 523-295, Rear Suspension Trailing Arm Bushing, 1 Pack. They are ordered as singles from Amazon for $38 each (JAN 2021). You can also order a pair of trailing arm assembles for $160 per pair. If you do not have a hydraulic press, that is my recommendation. I had also installed new KYB gas shocks first chasing this noise, but to no avail.
Exactly where I’m at currently. Clunking noise coming from rear driver side wheel area. Like you I replaced the rear shocks with KYB gas shocks but the clunking actually got a little worse. Then fired the parts cannon at it, replacing sway bar bushings and sway bar end links (although I think they were ok). So I’m stumped. The noise is worse on very uneven roads/bumps. Backing out of the driveway, if I back out to the left (rear driver side wheel falls off the curb first) and I don’t hear the clunking sound. If I back out to the right (rear passenger side wheel falls off the curb first) I clearly hear the noise which seems odd. Over extreme bumps like those intended to slow down traffic, I even hear what sounds like a twang noise like a spring under tension popping. I don’t know if that is connected or a different issue ? I have felt inside the control arm where the spring sits but don’t feel any cracks or breaks on the spring. There isn’t much left back there to check. Rear control arms and trailing arm are about the only things left , I think

Last edited by macguy59; October 2nd, 2023 at 2:04 PM.