Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2012 Equinox L4 overheating in town

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Equinox L4 overheating in town

I have a 2012 Equinox AWD with the L4 engine and the heat gauge always sat at the line before the halfway mark. The other day when I was driving around town, I noticed the heat gauge went up past the halfway mark to the next notch on the gauge, I was almost home and when I shut it off, the fan kept running and I don't remember it doing that before, I checked under the hood and there was no leaks or steam or anything. the next day I checked the coolant and it seemed ok in the overflow bottle. I checked the engine oil and it was ok. We took it for another drive in town and it kept heating up past the halfway mark. We were moving that day and had to drive it on the highway so we drove it 800kms on the highway without any issues (I was towing my other car with a Uhaul so if it did overheat, I was going to switch vehicles but the equinox is the better drive) , it stayed down between normal and halfway mark except when you started climbing a larger hill, it would creep up, but it never overheated or any alarms. it seems to be only in town that it heats up, highway is ok. Any suggestions of what to check for.