Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Chevy Equinox - clogged PCV intake and fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2021, 9:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Chevy Equinox - clogged PCV intake and fuel pump

Hi - this is my first post on this forum as I'm new to the Equinox model.

I have 104,000kms on my Equinox and recently took it into the dealer for an oil change. They identified a possible oil leak around the rear main seal and recommended replacing the seal and cleaning the clogged PCV intake (and expanding the air intake hole).

This is covered under GM Service bulletin# 14882 with extended warranty coverage for Equinox and Terrain (including my 2.4l 2013 model). Of course, as many have discovered, the GM dealer wouldn't honor the warranty, claiming that my VIN was somehow not covered (shocking that GM get's away with this - my service advisor suggested I join the class action lawsuit against GM.....but whatever.....).

Anyway.......

I booked my Equinox in for the bulletin# 14882 repairs a couple weeks after the initial diagnosis. After having the Equinox in the GM shop for 2 days to perform the rear main seal and PCV valve fix, the dealer called to inform me they had found a new problem. Apparently, the check engine light was on when I brought it in to GM two days earlier (this wasn't true) and they had determined that the high pressure fuel pump was now faulty and the Equinox would only run at low power due to inadequate fuel supply.

Funny how we had never noticed any issues at all with the Equinox performance (for that matter it had never leaked a drop of oil either).

My question is this: since unclogging the PCV intake valve requires removal of the fuel lines and high pressure fuel pump, am I being unfair to suggest that the newly diagnosed fuel pump problem may have been a result of something done incorrectly by the GM mechanic during the PCV intake repair?

Total cost is now: $4,000 = $2500 (PCV intake + rear main oil seal) + $1,500 (fuel pump replacement)

I don't mind paying this if the work was done properly. But since there was absolutely no indication that the Equinox was having fuel pump issues (i.e. no check engine, no rough idle, no low power, no engine run on) - it seems unlikely that a fuel pump issue would suddenly occur after the dealer removed the fuel pump to get at the PCV intake.

Sorry about the long post. Picking the Equinox up tomorrow from the dealer, just curious what others think on the whether I should be paying for what appears to be a "dealer induced" fault.
Old December 15th, 2021, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update from the dealer today. The dealer clarified that the fuel pump issue was not the high pressure fuel pump in the engine compartment, but the fuel pump located in the fuel tank itself. This is a $950 part compared to the pump in front which is a $186 part. The fuel pump in the fuel tank also requires that the fuel tank be dropped to access the pump which results in another 3.5hr labor.

I find it suspicious that I never experienced a fuel pump issue until after the GM dealer performed repairs to unclog the PCV intake which also required removal of a fuel pump. How could these two events not be related? However, that's what the dealer is suggesting.

Will pick the Equinox up tomorrow now. GM is suggesting another night in the shop as they noticed there was still some moisture coming from the PCV intake hose. The dealer wants it to sit overnight and dry out completely to confirm that everything is satisfactory and the intake manifold has proper air flow.
Old December 16th, 2021, 9:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Can appreciate your concern, but there are many times when something is opened up and future problems are noticed.
We always like the idea of preventive maintenance ,,,until we get the bill for a problem we haven't experienced yet.

If the proposed work hopefully prevents your vehicle from developing problems up the road, Look at the bright side.when possible.
Old December 16th, 2021, 6:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpotter47
Update from the dealer today. The dealer clarified that the fuel pump issue was not the high pressure fuel pump in the engine compartment, but the fuel pump located in the fuel tank itself. This is a $950 part compared to the pump in front which is a $186 part. The fuel pump in the fuel tank also requires that the fuel tank be dropped to access the pump which results in another 3.5hr labor.

I find it suspicious that I never experienced a fuel pump issue until after the GM dealer performed repairs to unclog the PCV intake which also required removal of a fuel pump. How could these two events not be related? However, that's what the dealer is suggesting.

Will pick the Equinox up tomorrow now. GM is suggesting another night in the shop as they noticed there was still some moisture coming from the PCV intake hose. The dealer wants it to sit overnight and dry out completely to confirm that everything is satisfactory and the intake manifold has proper air flow.
Unclogging the PCV intake requires removing the intake manifold which does not require removal of the fuel pump. It requires removal of the fuel pump cover, but not the fuel pump itself. The low pressure fuel feed pipe must also be disconnected from the fuel pump. Having said that, while I too would be skeptical about the fuel pump in the tank going bad, it is possible that it coincidentally failed at the same time after performing the other repairs. I'd think the tech working on it would be smart enough to know that the fuel system needs to be primed before the engine will start (due to the fuel lost when the low pressure feed line was disconnected), but there are some not so good techs out in the field too.
Old December 17th, 2021, 9:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had pump repkaced twice in the past year by the dealer. It certainly does not cost $950. The entire job was only $800. I would question the cost. You also ask them specifically what was wrong with the pump, how they diagnosed it. Regarding the clogged PCV, buy an AC Delco FC-219 vented oil cap to prevent the priblem again. The dealerships are full of Equinix and Terrains during the winter with this problem.