Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 Equinox Intermittent Steering

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2016, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Equinox Intermittent Steering

Intermittent steering started around 60K miles January 2016. GM service has sent a letter to owners informing us of the potential condition. (Dated: November 2014).
The power steering cutout can occur at any time, not just after driving long distances on a straight highway like the bulletin states.

So GM's "fix" is to re-calibrate the steering module. Essentially the calibrator changed the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) from a latching to a non-latching code.
The "bandaid" fix allows the steering to recover, however, it will still go out at random, then come back. It just recovers quicker now. Before it might or might not recover!

If your vehicle has not been re-calibrated, and this happens to you while driving, you can quickly cycle the ignition off-then on to recover your steering (while moving). (Don't worry, your engine will not die when you do this)
Dealership told me that if the re-calibration didn't fix the problem, they would have to use my extended service contract with $100 deductible to order parts. I am not confident that "throwing" parts at my three year old vehicle will fix the problem!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
scan0368.pdf (100.3 KB, 103 views)