Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 equinox oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2022, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 equinox oil consumption

My 2013 equinox LTZ, 2.4L, is plagued with high oil consumption at 135k miles. I've always used mobile 1 at or before when the computer says to change it, and we don't push the engine very hard. This is my first Chevy ever that needed a rebuild, and I've driven others to over 230k miles. I'm adding close to a gallon between changes, and it stinks of oil when running. My understanding is that this engine was blessed by GM with badly designed piston/ring sets (low tension oil control rings) and that GM offered some help a few years ago (ending 2020) to rectify this design flaw. Unfortunately, if you had taken care of your engine such that it was OK beyond 2020, you're out of luck with Chevy. My dealer told me that they generally can replace this engine for about $7000. I am also considering replacing it myself with a rebuilt engine. I am wondering if anyone has experience with a rebuilding company called "powertrain products", or if there is another company that is recommended?

Last edited by langt; December 15th, 2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old December 16th, 2022, 9:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

I didn't know that this was still occurring. My 98 K-1500 and 2015 Malibu use no oil between changes, like 5000 mile oil changes. Could be a product out there I know nothing about that MIGHT help. But once the rings are seated, I don't know about that..If the oil control or piston rings, which do also keep oil from burning, you will need the pistons removed and replaced with better one's. Your catalytic converter has to be dying at that rate.so you have to do something. A pro could pull them out (the pistons)but I wouldn't do it for an entire set.
Old December 16th, 2022, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 Chevy colorado with similar (but different) 4 cylinder engine has 171,000 miles and is still ok on oil consumption, unlike the equinox. At 65,000 miles, my Silverado 2500HD is fine, but it BETTER be !

What chevy SHOULD have done (IMHO), is to just cover the Equinox design flaw on a prorated basis, whenever the repair is needed. For example, at my present 135,000 miles, if they replaced my old engine with a new engine, I would be better off than if the defect was not present. That's not really reasonable. But I don't think its unreasonable to expect, say 200,000 miles from an engine today. So by that, if I'm 65,000 miles short of 200,000 miles, pay for 65000/200000, or about 33 percent of the repair.

But, instead I will have to eat the repair so as not to unload the car in a defective state on someone that can't afford it, and then vote with my feet and stop buying GM products.
Old December 17th, 2022, 6:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Langt,

I understand you frustrations. I would be upset myself. That said, most GM vehicles are very well built. My two Chevy's don't burn any oil at all, my K-1500 is built very solid, and at almost 25 years of age it has had only a few issues, My 15 Malibu the same. I am and older man and don't intend on buying another vehicle, as mine were manufactured very well, my Malibu has only one issue that occurs, but it opens the trunk at home or when I stop and start again somewhere, for a time. but how do you like 40 MPG at 65-70 MPG? It has almost 100,000 miles on the odometer.It has a donut spare tire and a low-profile hydraulic floor jack in the trunk that I added to the weight. Still the same gas-mileage. One word of advivce. Stay away from factory gasoline turbochargers, no matter the make. They are all junk compared to a semi-truck diesel turbocharger.

But do as you will, but l will no condemn you at all I am sorry that this happened to you.