Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2013 NOx new long block, now dieseling.

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2020, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 NOx new long block, now dieseling.

Hello all, Sorry that my first post will be long but I want to make sure I get all the details in. My Sister-in-Laws 2013 NOx finally throw the timing chain and locked up at 106,000 miles. I have replaced\swapped 5-6 engines so I told her that since the body was still in good ship it would be worth it to order a reman. long block from Advance Auto (Spartan reman. engines) rather than getting a used engine from a junk yard.

After getting the engine reinstalled and followed the initial startup instructions the car seemed to run fine. However, after getting up to temp (25-30 min drive on back roads) the car would "diesel" or run on after turning it off. OBDII Codes showed that it was running rich, so I replaced the MAF and both O2 sensors. After replacing the sensors and changing the oil (seemed to have gas in it from running rich) the car ran fine and the rick OBD codes did not return. After an hour plus trip the car started running rough and posted a P0017 code for the Crank shaft timing coloration.

After clearing the P0017 code the car seems to be running well but continues to diesel after shut off once up to temp.

My next step is going to be to replace the HPFP as I have read a bunch of threads around that causing fuel in oil that can cause dieseling but they seemed to be focused on the 2010/2011 years.

I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

New Parts:

reman long block.

Crankshaft sensor

Exhaust camshaft sensor

VVT solenoids.

Spark Plugs

Valve cover

MAF

O2 Sensors.

Old May 29th, 2020, 8:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

I have seen a few leaking hp fuel pumps but they did not diesel after run they just diluted the crankcase. confirm you have fuel in the oil (smell the dipstick or light it up and see if it burns) and if so replace the hpfp.
if it fixes the dieseling also, your golden...if not dieseling can be caused by injectors leaking or bad timing set up
Old May 30th, 2020, 8:39 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks. I think I am going to just pull the trigger on the new HPFP and see what it fixes.
Old May 31st, 2020, 6:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jcline68
Thanks. I think I am going to just pull the trigger on the new HPFP and see what it fixes.
I should have added that I did unplug the fuel injector elect. connection and pulled the spark plugs. Then had someone crank the engine while I looked in cylinders. With the injectors unplugged I could not see any fuel pumping into the cylinder so I dont think the injectors are leaking. But maybe just cranking the engine on the starter was not enough speed to turn the intake camshaft and the HPFP.