Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2014 Equinox LT 2.4L Need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2023, 5:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Equinox LT 2.4L Need some assistance

Hello all!
I need some sound advice on some issues I'm having with my Equinox. So let me start by giving some back ground. About 3 weeks ago, on an extremely cold morning here, my Equinox started acting up with a few dash board lights. After having it towed home, and doing a ton of research on line, I determined it blew the rear main seal. So I started pulling the engine out to replace, but since I was going to have it out I thought it a good idea to replace the other 2 common issues with this GM 2.4L, the piston rings and timing chains. I bought all the pieces and parts. Everything went smoothly. Glad I did this b/c I found the oil control ring on piston 2 was broken and the top of that piston was blacker then black. After cleaning and replacing I got the engine back together and back into the vehicle. Started right up but was chugging. Scanned for codes and got P0335, C0710, & U0401. I figured the crankshaft sensor and or the connector was bad, mostly b/c of the dumb locking tap on the connector which I broke. I replaced both, cleared the codes but after driving all 4 codes pop up again, I even tried disconnecting the battery for 3 hours. I've gone back to verify that I have all the sensors connected and it appears I do. The Stabilitrac light comes on every time I start the car. I have a complete wiring diagram so I can inspect all wires going to the engine that I disconnected.
I've noticed that if I clear the P0335 code after starting car up it doesn't come back up until I start it again. The C0710 & U0401 code remain though. I also watched my wheel speed senors via OBD2 and app and none of them are showing anything. I'm in a rabbit hole right now so if someone can give me a little direction I'd much appreciate it.

Old March 11th, 2023, 4:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash74
Hello all!
I need some sound advice on some issues I'm having with my Equinox. So let me start by giving some back ground. About 3 weeks ago, on an extremely cold morning here, my Equinox started acting up with a few dash board lights. After having it towed home, and doing a ton of research on line, I determined it blew the rear main seal. So I started pulling the engine out to replace, but since I was going to have it out I thought it a good idea to replace the other 2 common issues with this GM 2.4L, the piston rings and timing chains. I bought all the pieces and parts. Everything went smoothly. Glad I did this b/c I found the oil control ring on piston 2 was broken and the top of that piston was blacker then black. After cleaning and replacing I got the engine back together and back into the vehicle. Started right up but was chugging. Scanned for codes and got P0335, C0710, & U0401. I figured the crankshaft sensor and or the connector was bad, mostly b/c of the dumb locking tap on the connector which I broke. I replaced both, cleared the codes but after driving all 4 codes pop up again, I even tried disconnecting the battery for 3 hours. I've gone back to verify that I have all the sensors connected and it appears I do. The Stabilitrac light comes on every time I start the car. I have a complete wiring diagram so I can inspect all wires going to the engine that I disconnected.
I've noticed that if I clear the P0335 code after starting car up it doesn't come back up until I start it again. The C0710 & U0401 code remain though. I also watched my wheel speed senors via OBD2 and app and none of them are showing anything. I'm in a rabbit hole right now so if someone can give me a little direction I'd much appreciate it.
Make sure the hole for the crankshaft position sensor is clean and that the sensor is properly seated. If the spacing between the reluctor wheel and the sensor isn't correct, an erratic signal will be sent to the ECM which can cause this code. There is an alignment tab on the sensor so make sure the tab is aligned with the corresponding slot in the hole.

Last edited by ruley73; March 11th, 2023 at 6:32 PM.
Old March 12th, 2023, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ruley73
Make sure the hole for the crankshaft position sensor is clean and that the sensor is properly seated. If the spacing between the reluctor wheel and the sensor isn't correct, an erratic signal will be sent to the ECM which can cause this code. There is an alignment tab on the sensor so make sure the tab is aligned with the corresponding slot in the hole.
There isn't a way to adjust it. It's just a hole where you push it in and secure it with a bolt. Once you put the bolt it it doesn't move from it's position.
Old March 12th, 2023, 8:48 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Nash74
There isn't a way to adjust it. It's just a hole where you push it in and secure it with a bolt. Once you put the bolt it it doesn't move from it's position.
I'm aware of that. It seems foolproof, but this exact thing has happened numerous times before. Somehow, the sensor doesn't get completely seated. When that happens the sensor doesn't detect the teeth on the reluctor wheel like it should which distorts the signal sent to the ECM.

I was thinking that you might need to have the crankshaft position relearned but I didn't see anything suggesting that in GM's service information. In some cases the sensor is simply bad/defective sensor. What brand of sensor did you replace it with? These days the only one I trust is a genuine GM part. Aftermarket parts really are a crapshoot, especially with sensors & electrical parts.
The following users liked this post:
Don Palmer (March 12th, 2023)
Old March 12th, 2023, 9:17 AM
CF Beginner

I purchased a NAPA brand from NAPA. I’ll purchase an ACdelco if that would help.
Old April 1st, 2023, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

I did not end up taking it to a dealer. Instead I pulled the crank sensor out and put the old one back in per someone else suggestion not using an aftermarket one. I realized when I pulled it out that perhaps I did not have it all the way in. Apparently you need a little bit of force to make sure it is fully seated. Once I applied a bit of pressure and felt along the edge to ensure there wasn't a gap between the sensor and engine I put everything back together and cleared the codes again. Lo and behold no more error! I still had the Stabilitrek error though. A buddy had a scanner to re-calibrate the steering wheel sensor, worked for about 3 hours then came back on. It needed a front end alignment due to taking the drive shaft out when pulling the motor so I figured I get that done first before trying again. I purchased my own scan tool that would re-calibrate the steering sensor. Long story short after the wheel alignment and the re-calibration it is finally error code free! Thanks for the suggestions!
Old May 9th, 2023, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Back for some more help. So after about 3 weeks of driving I started getting O2 sensor bank 2 error, I have not replaced this yet. As of yesterday I now have 3 new codes to add to that, P0031, P0102, & P0458. I replace the bank 1 O2 sensor when I pulled the motor, so I'm guessing that shouldn't be the problem. I did replace the MAF today and the code is still there. I did take some screenshots of the readings on the 4 errors which you will see attached. I don't see any data from the EVAP, so I'm guessing that is the main problem. As usual any suggestions you could throw my way I'd be great full for.