Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2015 Chevy Equinox sputtering at low rpms

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2018, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Chevy Equinox sputtering at low rpms

A bit of a long post, but I want to try to cover everything! It started yesterday morning after not driving the car for 2 days during a winter storm (live in the midwest). I let the car warm up for 5 minutes or so before driving. It seemed a bit sluggish but nothing out of the ordinary considering it was cold and I hadn't driven it in 2 days. First red light I come to, totally normal. Second red light as I was slowing down and the rpms dropped the car lurched repeatedly like it didn't want to stop, wanted to keep going. Acceleration was normal. Third red light I come to, as soon as I'm at a stop the rpms dropped lower than normal and it started sputtering and acting like it was going to die. Acceleration was sluggish at first and then just fine. Slowing down to turn doesn't cause any symptoms. Pulled into a parking spot and sat there for a minute in gear with the brake applied and the rpms were normal. I was in the store for about an hour and when I drove home, zero issues, ran great. This morning I let it warm up for a couple minutes and then left. No problems at first. Drove down to the gas station and left it running while I went inside (did not get fuel). When I backed out of the parking spot it sputtered and died. Started right back up and was fine after that. Went through a busy fast food place where I spent a fair amount of time sitting there in gear with the brake applied and had zero issues. When I pulled out of the fast food place, acceleration was a bit sluggish and car sounded bogged down. Check engine light has not come on at all through any of this. Oil life is at 69%, just had it in a little over a month ago for an oil change and they top off all fluids and check the air filter and all that. No issues reported then. Car is at 122,000 miles, had it for 11 months, got it from a reputable dealer. A few months ago I had to replace the cmp actuator solenoid (that was throwing a code but didn't cause any noticeable symptoms while driving).
Any ideas where to start looking for issues?
Old December 31st, 2018, 4:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbsjbk
A bit of a long post, but I want to try to cover everything! It started yesterday morning after not driving the car for 2 days during a winter storm (live in the midwest). I let the car warm up for 5 minutes or so before driving. It seemed a bit sluggish but nothing out of the ordinary considering it was cold and I hadn't driven it in 2 days. First red light I come to, totally normal. Second red light as I was slowing down and the rpms dropped the car lurched repeatedly like it didn't want to stop, wanted to keep going. Acceleration was normal. Third red light I come to, as soon as I'm at a stop the rpms dropped lower than normal and it started sputtering and acting like it was going to die. Acceleration was sluggish at first and then just fine. Slowing down to turn doesn't cause any symptoms. Pulled into a parking spot and sat there for a minute in gear with the brake applied and the rpms were normal. I was in the store for about an hour and when I drove home, zero issues, ran great. This morning I let it warm up for a couple minutes and then left. No problems at first. Drove down to the gas station and left it running while I went inside (did not get fuel). When I backed out of the parking spot it sputtered and died. Started right back up and was fine after that. Went through a busy fast food place where I spent a fair amount of time sitting there in gear with the brake applied and had zero issues. When I pulled out of the fast food place, acceleration was a bit sluggish and car sounded bogged down. Check engine light has not come on at all through any of this. Oil life is at 69%, just had it in a little over a month ago for an oil change and they top off all fluids and check the air filter and all that. No issues reported then. Car is at 122,000 miles, had it for 11 months, got it from a reputable dealer. A few months ago I had to replace the cmp actuator solenoid (that was throwing a code but didn't cause any noticeable symptoms while driving).
Any ideas where to start looking for issues?
Have you run any OBD II codes yet?
Old December 31st, 2018, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Have you run any OBD II codes yet?
It hasn't thrown any codes since the issue with the cmp actuator solenoid.
I saw a thread with many people saying to turn eco mode off because it can cause this issue when it's cold out. I also put some fuel injector cleaner in yesterday. I'm about to go out for the first time today and we'll see what it does. When I out for the second time yesterday I had zero issues. Seems to be the first time I drive it for the day.
Old December 31st, 2018, 2:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbsjbk
It hasn't thrown any codes since the issue with the cmp actuator solenoid.
I saw a thread with many people saying to turn eco mode off because it can cause this issue when it's cold out. I also put some fuel injector cleaner in yesterday. I'm about to go out for the first time today and we'll see what it does. When I out for the second time yesterday I had zero issues. Seems to be the first time I drive it for the day.
Its almost certain to be an electornics issue. I once owned a FUBAR Mustang that would just quit right on the freeway, if I was traveling up past around 4000 feet elevation.

I am a professional driver by trade, and although I trained in the mechanical arts many years ago, having an engine die out at speed wasn't an issue for me. I'd wait about 20 minutes of so and that old b***h would run fine the rest of the way up the grade.

Turns out it was an electronic ignition device that FUBAR called a "thick film module". Needless to say that was the last POS FUBAR I have ever owned, besides my old Jeep CJ-5, which I sold to my brother and its still running fine to this day.

Besides an injector cleaner, which you have already done, I am stumped as to what the issue might be, but I dont think it's mechanical per se', I am almost certain of that much for now. Could be the MAF, but I honestly doubt it. On occassion they will go bad/need cleaning without throwing a code, but not often.