Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2016 Equinox thinks the key is in the ignition when it isn't

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2016, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2016 Equinox thinks the key is in the ignition when it isn't

Sometimes the door chimes after I park the car and remove the key from the ignition. When this happens the driver side door will not stay locked using the key fob or the control in the door. The only way it will lock is to manually use the key on the outside of the door. After I return to the car, I have to unlock the car using the key (not the key fob) and when I open the door, the door starts chiming. It seems to me that the car thinks the key is still in the ignition even after the key has been removed from the ignition. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix?
Old December 9th, 2016, 4:44 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by SFC Michigan
Sometimes the door chimes after I park the car and remove the key from the ignition. When this happens the driver side door will not stay locked using the key fob or the control in the door. The only way it will lock is to manually use the key on the outside of the door. After I return to the car, I have to unlock the car using the key (not the key fob) and when I open the door, the door starts chiming. It seems to me that the car thinks the key is still in the ignition even after the key has been removed from the ignition. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what is the fix?
An educated guess is that you have a bad ignition switch. Your vehicle should still be under warranty (unless you have exceeded the mileage), so take it to the dealership to get it fixed. We had the same problem with our 2007 Equinox and replacing the ignition switch fixed it.
Old December 11th, 2016, 6:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow.