Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2017 Chevy Equinox 2.4L Electronic Steering Whine

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2021, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 Chevy Equinox 2.4L Electronic Steering Whine

Hi everyone. I've been driving around a 2017 Chevy Equinox LT 2.4L and noticed that the steering whines slightly now. It's been a gradual thing that I was keeping an ear out for.

So i did some quick research and found that it had Electronic steering with a power assist motor attached to it. Didn't realize that newer electronic racks even had motors.
I also noticed that you can either buy just the rack and pinion with no motor, or it with the motor, but with the motor costs almost 800 bucks vs just 200 to 300 for the rack itself. Is there any way to narrow down if the issue is with the motor or the rack/pinion itself to replace the individual component? Can either one be replaced by itself or do they have to be replaced as a whole unit?

Also, according to the Haynes manual, it says that the catalytic converter and rear transmission mount need to be removed to ultimately take out the rack. Can the rack or power assist motor be removed without doing these? It would just make things a lot easier.

Last edited by nub_mechanic; August 17th, 2021 at 9:16 PM.
Old August 25th, 2021, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

watching,,also is there hyd. fluid that can be chaged in the electric pump ??
Old August 25th, 2021, 12:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by comp
watching,,also is there hyd. fluid that can be chaged in the electric pump ??
It's all electric, so i doubt there's any hydraulic fluid in there. Maybe some oil for the power assist motor, but not entirely sure. And not sure if there's even a way to change it if so.
Just going to keep an eye on it for now and see how bad it gets. And listen to it underneath it one of these days.
The following users liked this post:
comp (August 26th, 2021)
Old August 27th, 2021, 7:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nub_mechanic
It's all electric, so i doubt there's any hydraulic fluid in there. Maybe some oil for the power assist motor, but not entirely sure. And not sure if there's even a way to change it if so.
Just going to keep an eye on it for now and see how bad it gets. And listen to it underneath it one of these days.
was told the pump is elec. instead of mech,,,,belt driven.. I would give up the .5 mpg for less repair cost ,when it needs a pump,,and it will,,,,,lol
Old August 27th, 2021, 9:22 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

There is nothing like doing half of the job. The other half will wait for the worst time to cause you problems.
If you are contemplating replacing the rack do the whole job and do it once.