Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2017 Equinox Front Speaker And Hands Free Not Working

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2020, 5:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Equinox Front Speaker And Hands Free Not Working

Just purchased a 2017 Chevy equinox and have been loving it. Yesterday I took it through the car wash and while on way home I noticed like a cracking sound in the front speakers and within a couple minutes only sound out of the rear. I checked the fuses and don’t see anything. The hands free also goes through this same speaker as now I can’t hear it ask me to say a command. There is also no chiming or turn signal sound. Chevy dealer wants 130 just to tell me what’s wrong and I don’t have that kind of dough right now . Can anyone help me out?
Old October 16th, 2020, 10:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Taylor
Just purchased a 2017 Chevy equinox and have been loving it. Yesterday I took it through the car wash and while on way home I noticed like a cracking sound in the front speakers and within a couple minutes only sound out of the rear. I checked the fuses and don’t see anything. The hands free also goes through this same speaker as now I can’t hear it ask me to say a command. There is also no chiming or turn signal sound. Chevy dealer wants 130 just to tell me what’s wrong and I don’t have that kind of dough right now . Can anyone help me out?
I suspect a blown front left speaker or a shorted connection going to that speaker. All of the warnings/chimes come out of that speaker so that's why you don't hear them anymore. I think it's just a coincidence that the problem started after going through the car wash. If anything, a problem was already there and the water from the car wash highlighted the existing problem. The doors are designed to limit how much water get inside the door, but some water always gets in there and drains out the bottom. The factory speakers are actually partially covered with a baffle on the back side so water can't easily get into them.

The only thing you can do is remove the door panel and remove the speaker to take a peek at things. It also may not hurt to inspect the wires inside of the boot in the driver's door jamb for breaks.