Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2018 Chevy Equinox Road Noise

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2019, 8:58 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

this is typical in most vehicles with rear windows. scientific name is "Helmholtz resonance" and its pretty much like blowing on a beer bottle, the bigger the container the lower the noise. the "whum whum whum" you hear is the air pulse as it enters/exits your car. you can change this by speeding up/slowing down or make the opening bigger by either opening the window more or opening another window. the reason its more of a problem now days is because of how aerodynamic todays vehicles are. the wind tends to hug the cars more and will rush in faster. the older vehicles that wernt so aerodynamic tend to cause a lot more turbulence and when the window is open the air doesnt move as fast into the vehicle. in my mind the reason the front windows dont really make this sound is the because of the mirrors breaking up the air flow right in front of the front window
The following 2 users liked this post by Irish_alley:
anthonyleopeter (February 4th, 2020), DougDinSTP (August 10th, 2019)
Old August 10th, 2019, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
this is typical in most vehicles with rear windows. scientific name is "Helmholtz resonance" and its pretty much like blowing on a beer bottle, the bigger the container the lower the noise. the "whum whum whum" you hear is the air pulse as it enters/exits your car. you can change this by speeding up/slowing down or make the opening bigger by either opening the window more or opening another window. the reason its more of a problem now days is because of how aerodynamic todays vehicles are. the wind tends to hug the cars more and will rush in faster. the older vehicles that wernt so aerodynamic tend to cause a lot more turbulence and when the window is open the air doesnt move as fast into the vehicle. in my mind the reason the front windows dont really make this sound is the because of the mirrors breaking up the air flow right in front of the front window
B I G "Thanks" to you, Irish_alley! After some research, that is indeed what is being heard. "Car window buffeting" is what mechanics refer to it as.
Thank you!
Old August 10th, 2019, 7:39 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Ah...The helicopter noise. Back when I bought my truck new in 2002, it had a bright orange insert in the owners manual explaining that this will happen when you open the rear windows. I take it a whole lot of people were complaining about it.
Old February 4th, 2020, 3:24 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by DougDinSTP
B I G "Thanks" to you, Irish_alley! After some research, that is indeed what is being heard. "Car window buffeting" is what mechanics refer to it as.
Thank you!
My new 2019 Equinox has a noise inside (no whump whump whump) at highway speeds that is a loud whistling - I've checked all window and sun roof - all are shut tight. I don't see any gaps either.
Old December 16th, 2021, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Road noisr

Originally Posted by radairspike
Did you keep the car. I have the same problem with mine !!
What can I do about road noise.Can Chevy dealer help me
Old December 16th, 2021, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default I kept the car.

Add around 8000 miles I gave up on the road noise and put a set of nice premium Michelin tires on it. Replaced those garbage Hankooks. It transformed the car. No longer an issue with road noise for me.