Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2019 Chevrolet Equinox - Metallic Crackling over 60mph on Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2023, 11:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 Chevrolet Equinox - Metallic Crackling over 60mph on Driver's Side

Hey everyone,

I have a used 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT 2.0L AWD with a strange issue. If I go over 60mph, there starts to be some kind of metallic crackling noise coming from the front engine area on the driver's side. It starts small and gets more consistent the faster you go over 60mph. I've also noticed that it happens more when it is hotter outside, like it won't happen if it is winter and ~35F outside. I attached an audio recording of it on this post. All fluids are good, no engine lights or codes, oil get premium every 5K miles, and I use Costco triple detergent fuel. Wheels are good too. It doesn't shake or vibrate at those speeds.
I haven't had it inspected yet by a mechanic, but I asked about it during my oil change and he said that it sounded like a faulty oil lifter. Could it be that or a bad wheel bearing, or something with the transmission? Please let me know your thoughts.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3
Voice 004.mp3 (575.6 KB, 15 views)
Old July 12th, 2023, 5:45 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by austinwilcox555
Hey everyone,

I have a used 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT 2.0L AWD with a strange issue. If I go over 60mph, there starts to be some kind of metallic crackling noise coming from the front engine area on the driver's side. It starts small and gets more consistent the faster you go over 60mph. I've also noticed that it happens more when it is hotter outside, like it won't happen if it is winter and ~35F outside. I attached an audio recording of it on this post. All fluids are good, no engine lights or codes, oil get premium every 5K miles, and I use Costco triple detergent fuel. Wheels are good too. It doesn't shake or vibrate at those speeds.
I haven't had it inspected yet by a mechanic, but I asked about it during my oil change and he said that it sounded like a faulty oil lifter. Could it be that or a bad wheel bearing, or something with the transmission? Please let me know your thoughts.
That sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield to me. FWIW we've replaced the front one a few times at work for the same complaint. The part number is 23462777 for the front shield and 13245749 for the metal retainers if you need them (this shield requires 5). Expect to pay around $30-$40 for the shield and $5-$9 each for the retainers.
Old July 12th, 2023, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
That sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield to me. FWIW we've replaced the front one a few times at work for the same complaint. The part number is 23462777 for the front shield and 13245749 for the metal retainers if you need them (this shield requires 5). Expect to pay around $30-$40 for the shield and $5-$9 each for the retainers.
Thank you @ruley73 for your detailed and informative reply. I will definitely check that out when I get home from vacation and let you know in this thread