Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2019 Equinox AWD as a toad issue

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2020, 10:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 Equinox AWD as a toad issue

We have a 2019 Chevrolet Equinox 2.0 LT AWD that we use as a toad behind our FR 2012 Lexington 265DS: using BlueOx Avail towbar and Patriot II braking system.

We pulled the toad without any problems during 2019 July, August and September.

When we headed down South to Florida in last February with the same arrangement we encountered an issue with the toad.

The fist day, we travelled ±500 miles, leaving home at 7h00 in the morning. On the way, when gas filling and / or sanitary stops, as per instructions in the user’s manual, we gave a 5 minutes run at the engine to keep the lubrication process. But when we arrived at destination in Jonestown, PA. The procedure couldn’t be performed. I depressed the brake pedal, shifted into P to start and… NADA. Battery was dead. Even though there is a tickle battery charger present and working OK.

I tried with boosting cables… NADA

I connected a battery charger (overnight)… NADA.

Called GM Road Assistance, towing guy tried to boost… NADA.

The brake pedal was stuck down, the transmission was locked into P.

Using tire’s glides, the towing guy hooked the car on the flatbed and brought the car at a GM dealer.

After 2 1/2 days, they fixed the issue, disengaged the brake pedal and got the transmission working properly but, they confess ignoring the cause.

The next day we resumed our trip.

But, at dusk, through the rearview cam we noticed that the headlights have turned «ON» automatically; might this be the culprit ?

We stopped to turn them «OFF», the headlights went «OFF», but I couldn’t turn «OFF» the –Daylight Running Lamps (DRL) and the Parking Lights. Fortunately, we could get to a parking area to stay overnight and resume our trip during daylight the next two days to destination.

So, on our way back home, we travelled only during daylight (What we have done in Jul, Auf, Sep).

Our return home was due to the rising of the Covid-19 Gov’t Instructions and, so happening, couldn’t get an appointment with the dealer to find a solution.

Today, using the Equinox alone, I reproduced the same pattern (following Owner’s manual directions for recreational towing) and the headlights, DRL and Parking lights responded the same way as mentioned above.

As anyone have encountered a similar issue, Please chime.

Looking for a solution.

We love our Equinox as our every days car.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

to clarify...when you dingy tow your nox...the iginition is in run, vehicle in neutral, the motorhome is supplying voltage to the nox battery and operating the rear lights to match the motorhome. the autolamps are killing the nox battery.

is the headlamp switch in auto mode? if yes, does turning it to manual off fix the problem.
Old May 28th, 2020, 4:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
to clarify...when you dingy tow your nox...the iginition is in run, vehicle in neutral, the motorhome is supplying voltage to the nox battery and operating the rear lights to match the motorhome. the autolamps are killing the nox battery.

is the headlamp switch in auto mode? if yes, does turning it to manual off fix the problem.

As per Owner's Manual, the ignition is into Service Mode.
Motorhome is supplying power to the toad via a designed tickle charger

During «daylight» All lights can be put to OFF
At «Dusk» they are coming ON automatically and cannot be put completely OFF
Old May 28th, 2020, 9:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

when they come on automatically at dusk...with you rv running and powering the nox... cycle the nox light switch on and off
Old May 28th, 2020, 10:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
when they come on automatically at dusk...with you rv running and powering the nox... cycle the nox light switch on and off

Even if I «play» with the switch, lights are not turning OFF completely.
That is my problem.

If someone owns a similar model 2019 Equinox 2.0 T AWD LT can reproduce the procedure, it might help.