Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

2020 Equinox and Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2019, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 Equinox and Subwoofer

Hello all,

I recently leased a 2020 Equinox Premier and the facorty speakers are less than ideal. I would like to add a subwoofer (thinking a 10" JL Audio) and wondering if this was possible with the factory radio. And if so, what is needed?

Thanks.
Old December 29th, 2019, 6:56 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same question with my 2018 and I found a post on another forum that describes what one gentleman has done to address this integration issue. The harness is expensive, especially if you want the more expensive parts on it. It would allow you to install your sub without damaging any of the factory wires which is what you want on a leased vehicle.
https://www.equinoxforum.net/32-audi...harnesses.html
Old October 31st, 2020, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Well I ran into a wrinkle I did not see coming. I would like to upgrade my 2020 Equinox LT's sound system but I have found that it's (ANC) Active noise canceling system will deaden it! Now this fact was particularly mentioned on adding sub-woofers and add- on amplifiers on some forums but I'm unsure about after market door speakers. Now I am also now wondering if its why my factory (non-Bose) system sounds a little flat to begin with?
I hear you can disable ANC in someways (mic unplug or cutting wires to it (them?), but I don't want to lose this feature. I'm a little disappointed as I would have though this would have have some technology to allow ANC to operate so just junk sound would be countered..
Is there any hope for better sound?
Old October 31st, 2020, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by FloridaGuy
Well I ran into a wrinkle I did not see coming. I would like to upgrade my 2020 Equinox LT's sound system but I have found that it's (ANC) Active noise canceling system will deaden it! Now this fact was particularly mentioned on adding sub-woofers and add- on amplifiers on some forums but I'm unsure about after market door speakers. Now I am also now wondering if its why my factory (non-Bose) system sounds a little flat to begin with?
I hear you can disable ANC in someways (mic unplug or cutting wires to it (them?), but I don't want to lose this feature. I'm a little disappointed as I would have though this would have have some technology to allow ANC to operate so just junk sound would be countered..
Is there any hope for better sound?
I ended using the Audio Integration Harness myself and it works fine. I was able to replace my dash and door speakers and add a subwoofer along with a 5 channel Kicker KXA amplifier. I set it to use line level inputs which also activates the amp. I lost the turn signal feedback sound along with all other sounds generated by the car but I'm fine with that. OnStar still works and when you activate it with the radio off so it powers it up and sends a signal to the amp to wake up and power the speakers.

I know because yesterday I was forced to use this after an accident. I think that the most favorable solution for a factory head unit would be to send the radio output to a multiband preamp EQ and then to the amp. Too bad they don't come from the factory with RCA outputs for each channel and an amp turn on wire.