Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

AC/temp & gas gauge??

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2015, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC/temp & gas gauge??

2 weeks ago I bought a 2007 with just over 99k miles. I swore I'd never get a Chevy again after owning a 98 Blazer that was nothing more than a constant money pit, but the price was right with the Equinox, and the previous owner took good a regular care of my 07.
Anyway, one day after I get the car, suddenly my gas gauge is literally all over the place. Every time I start the engine, the needle is always in a different position, but never on the lines, usually pointing up or down or towards the temp gauge. Since the DIC seems reliable on my gas usage, I've been going off of that. This morning on the highway I accelerate a bit fast and my temp gauge suddenly does the same thing. The needle is now pointing toward the top, so at lunch I turn the car on and off hoping it will magically reset itself but if course it doesn't. Matter of fact, on my drive around the block, I realize my AC isn't blowing cold. It's cool air, but not actually cold... Almost like a house fan vs AC. Do some Google investigating and I keep reading about changing the ECT sensor, so I after work, man, do I STRUGGLE to get the damn thing replaced in the auto zone parking lot, but it gets done. I'm praying for a miracle the second I start the car, but as is my luck, gauges are still whacked out and just a cool AC. I really did scream once I got driving. After my 30 mi drive home I notice there's a nice little puddle of fluids under my engine dripping from what I imagine is a drain of some sort coming from the drivers side firewall under what I also guess is the hoses to the vents. It eventually stops and everything evaporated pretty quickly.

I've just read over and over the problems people are having with their AC, making me regret once again owning a Chevy. The only mechanic I trusted moved across town and I am super hesitant to take it to another shop. Thanks for any helpful info. Also, the wiring seemed just fine on the ECT, but I'm not 100% sure about that, and I do not have any warning lights. I'll try to disconnect the battery tonight once my husband and his tools get home, I hope that'll rest the gauges

Last edited by Nappeal; June 23rd, 2015 at 8:09 PM.
Old June 24th, 2015, 6:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

for your a/c issue

they are problems with the temp blend doors breaking. So if the a/c compressor clutch is turning on (check under the hood) and the a/c low pressure lines are cold and the high pressure lines are hot....verify the temp blend door is moving. if no movement or change of air temp occurs the door shaft is probably broken. this condition has extended warranty for 2006 models. Check with gm customer service on this site to see if the coverage now includes 2007.

the cluster issues I cannot comment on.