Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Aftermarket radio hookup

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2019, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket radio hookup

Hey Folks! I'm new to the forum and trying to wire up an aftermarket stereo to my 2008 Equinox LS and having some difficulty. I am bypassing all the GM crap and not retaining any of the chimes, on star, etc.
I ran an add on circuit to the fuse panel using the RSE fuse slot and I get radio to work fine for a day, but when I stop using it and go to get in every morning, the radio won't work. I un hooked the power for a while, reinstall and works for a bit. I tried running a separate ground instead of using the blk/wht wire in the factory radio harness, but same thing happens every day. It will work again till the next day. I ran the aftermarket radios yellow constant or memory power to the yellow wire in the factory harness. Could this be my problem? Is this not the constant power or memory power?Need some direction here. Thanks

Last edited by Diceman5150; April 25th, 2019 at 4:02 PM.
Old April 25th, 2019, 7:11 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Diceman5150
Hey Folks! I'm new to the forum and trying to wire up an aftermarket stereo to my 2008 Equinox LS and having some difficulty. I am bypassing all the GM crap and not retaining any of the chimes, on star, etc.
I ran an add on circuit to the fuse panel using the RSE fuse slot and I get radio to work fine for a day, but when I stop using it and go to get in every morning, the radio won't work. I un hooked the power for a while, reinstall and works for a bit. I tried running a separate ground instead of using the blk/wht wire in the factory radio harness, but same thing happens every day. It will work again till the next day. I ran the aftermarket radios yellow constant or memory power to the yellow wire in the factory harness. Could this be my problem? Is this not the constant power or memory power?Need some direction here. Thanks
Check your 2A IGN fuse in the interior fuse panel. The RSE circuit goes through the RAP relay, which would be disabled if that fuse is bad. Also, you should only have the switched/accessory +12V lead from the radio connected to the RSE circuit. When you say "yellow wire in the factory harness", do you mean you cut the plug off that would go into the factory radio or are you referring to the yellow wire on the adapter harness? The yellow wire on the adapter harness would be the constant +12V, but not the yellow wire in the harness coming from the car. The latter would be the left rear speaker (-).
Old April 25th, 2019, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

No, I'm referring to the yellow wire I cut off the factory harness. According to another wiring diagram I received, that it was a constant power wire. But I also found another web page that said it was for an amp circuit. The problem I'm having is I have a satellite reciever plugged in the the power moonroof circuit and if I switch the radio power to it, it does the same thing. It will work for awhile, then it wont. Very frustrating.
Old April 25th, 2019, 9:08 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Diceman5150
No, I'm referring to the yellow wire I cut off the factory harness. According to another wiring diagram I received, that it was a constant power wire. But I also found another web page that said it was for an amp circuit. The problem I'm having is I have a satellite reciever plugged in the the power moonroof circuit and if I switch the radio power to it, it does the same thing. It will work for awhile, then it wont. Very frustrating.
Moonroof power also goes through the RAP relay.

Does your Equinox have the base audio system or the premium system with the subwoofer in the cargo area?

Did you check the 2A IGN fuse?

Yellow is constant power for for the EIA standard wiring color scheme that most aftermarket radios use. In older GM vehicles, yellow was the color of the switched +12V wire (AKA ignition or accessory wire), but your Equinox (as well as most GM vehicles since the early 2000s) doesn't have this wire because the factory radio is commanded to turn off/on by the BCM.

You really should have bought the correct adapter harness instead of just cutting the factory plug off. It would've made things much easier - just match colors and find a switched +12V source to tap into. I suspect the wiring diagram(s) you referenced is inaccurate so I've linked the correct diagrams below.

2007-2009 Equinox base audio
2007-2009 Equinox Premium audio (1 of 2)
2007-2009 Equinox Premium audio (2 of 2)

To properly troubleshoot your issue, we'd need to know exactly how you have everything connected.

Last edited by ruley73; April 25th, 2019 at 9:23 PM.
Old April 26th, 2019, 3:18 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you. This helps greatly and will let you know once I check it today to see if it works properly.
Old December 4th, 2021, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Patricia keith

Originally Posted by ruley73
Check your 2A IGN fuse in the interior fuse panel. The RSE circuit goes through the RAP relay, which would be disabled if that fuse is bad. Also, you should only have the switched/accessory +12V lead from the radio connected to the RSE circuit. When you say "yellow wire in the factory harness", do you mean you cut the plug off that would go into the factory radio or are you referring to the yellow wire on the adapter harness? The yellow wire on the adapter harness would be the constant +12V, but not the yellow wire in the harness coming from the car. The latter would be the left rear speaker (-).
Should have gone on Amazon and input car information to get the correct wiring harness or called Electric Express