Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Another Timing chain failure

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2016, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Timing chain failure

Well I guess I am the lucky winner of another timing chain failure. 101,016 miles on the Equinox and it left my wife on the side of the road yesterday. Had the engine serviced last on 11/25/15 and then Jan. 4th I checked all the fluids before I left for a business trip and had to add 2qt of oil. Yesterday when the Equinox arrived at the dealership, they said it was 3qt. low on oil (17% oil life remaining) and the timing gear and cylinder head were destroyed. I have always been a die hard Chevy fan, own 9 Chevys in my life and am actually looking at purchasing two more in the next six months (new truck for me and a car for my son) but if GM doesn't step up to the plate on this one I may just have to walk. I can't believe after ALL the failures of this component on the 2.4L engines they haven't issued a recall. Mind blowing....
Old January 29th, 2016, 7:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres a special coverage for the balance chain and high pressure pump-I always do the timing chain while im there