Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

AP8 Remote Start Prep question

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2011, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP8 Remote Start Prep question

Hello all, Looking to add remote start to my wife's 2008 Equinox LT. It does have the remote start prep package AP8 RPO code, Her Uncle works for a local dealer and said that we'd have to purchase a set of fobs with the remote start button and then bring it to them and they'll turn it on. He told us to just get the correct Fob on Ebay and they'll be able to program it to work with her truck. I read elsewhere on the tahoe page that the gm tech link center will not release the VCI code if the fobs are not purchased from the dealer. Is this true? I can purchase through the dealer just trying to save some green. Also would there be anything else needed to turn on the remote start feature.

Pete
Old May 17th, 2011, 10:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TIS2 Databank is what a GM dealer uses along with the Tech2 scanner to install the program It is up to the individual GM dealer if they want to do it for you.
As long you have the proper fob for that vehicle it should not be a issue as the dealer will charge you for the programming.
Beware of the fobs on eBay many do not work properly,I have had several come in the shop I could not program,

CC Name:  sfachevy.gif
Views: 974
Size:  11.1 KB
Old May 18th, 2011, 4:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hhr07nox08
Hello all, Looking to add remote start to my wife's 2008 Equinox LT. It does have the remote start prep package AP8 RPO code, Her Uncle works for a local dealer and said that we'd have to purchase a set of fobs with the remote start button and then bring it to them and they'll turn it on. He told us to just get the correct Fob on Ebay and they'll be able to program it to work with her truck. I read elsewhere on the tahoe page that the gm tech link center will not release the VCI code if the fobs are not purchased from the dealer. Is this true? I can purchase through the dealer just trying to save some green. Also would there be anything else needed to turn on the remote start feature.

Pete
I would advise you to speak with the dealership you are going to get the remote start installed at if you can purchase the key fobs from EBay. It will be up to them if they will be able to program the key fob you buy to your wife’s vehicle.

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Assistance