Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Buying Used 2012 Chevy Equinox LTX - NAV Question

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2013, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Used 2012 Chevy Equinox LTX - NAV Question

First Post....
<O</O
I am possibly buying a used 2012 Equinox LTZ from Hertz and had a question. Since the car was used in its rental fleet they are not able to confirm if the navigation unit has been disabled. My guess is it has so you are forced to rent their GPS system. The only thing I was told is the NAV button was on the steering wheel. <O></O>
<O</O
Does anyone know if this is something that is easy to have a dealer install via CD or USB? I spoke to one dealer and the sales person said it would not be an issue but she didn’t sound that convincing. She sounded more like she wanted a new customer for their service dept.
<O</O
<O</O
I know some of you might say don’t buy a car from a rental fleet but I have done extensive research and the car will be fully inspected by a family friend to ensure there are no issues. Several people I know have bought from used fleets and they all say they would do it again. If anyone here has had any experience with that I would love to know about it. <O</O
Old January 31st, 2013, 1:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by brooksm549
First Post....
<o I am possibly buying a used 2012 Equinox LTZ from Hertz and had a question. Since the car was used in its rental fleet they are not able to confirm if the navigation unit has been disabled. My guess is it has so you are forced to rent their GPS system. The only thing I was told is the NAV button was on the steering wheel. <o>
<o Does anyone know if this is something that is easy to have a dealer install via CD or USB? I spoke to one dealer and the sales person said it would not be an issue but she didn’t sound that convincing. She sounded more like she wanted a new customer for their service dept.
<o
<o
I know some of you might say don’t buy a car from a rental fleet but I have done extensive research and the car will be fully inspected by a family friend to ensure there are no issues. Several people I know have bought from used fleets and they all say they would do it again. If anyone here has had any experience with that I would love to know about it. <o</o</o
</o

I would argue that it is a good idea to purchase from a major rental fleet (e.g., Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, etc.). Most major rental places have their vehicles meticulously maintained to keep the factory warranty valid and circumvent breakdowns which helps prevent unhappy customers. If they had the vehicle serviced at a GM dealership, all of the service would be documented and available to any subsequent owner. If you tell the dealership the VIN, they should be able to provide a summary of any work performed on that vehicle at any GM dealership.

My best guess would be that the GPS can be enabled by a Chevrolet dealership with their diagnostic scan tool. If you provide a dealership with the VIN, they can determine if the vehicle is/is not equipped with it. You can also try to enter the VIN here to see what options it came equipped with from the factory.
</o</o
</o

Last edited by ruley73; January 31st, 2013 at 1:12 PM.