Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Car won't start. Key stuck.

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2016, 7:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start. Key stuck.

I have a 2011 equinox LT and when I went to start my car this morning all I heard was click click click and it wouldn't start. I came home eight hours later tried to start it didn't hear anything this time and not my key is stuck in the ignition and won't turn into neutral. Note that it is below freezing temperatures. Any advice is welcomed.
Old December 15th, 2016, 9:12 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

That is textbook behavior for a dead battery. You probably still have the factory-installed battery in there (which is now bad) and the alternator is fine. Replace the battery and have the charging system checked afterwards to make sure the alternator is still working. You can temporarily hook up some jumper cables (that are connected to another car) to get the key out if necessary.
Old December 16th, 2016, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

The strange thing is I just replace the battery about four months ago so I'm not sure what drain the battery so fast because nothing was left on in the car. I'm not sure how to put it in neutral but the battery is dead.
Old December 16th, 2016, 6:30 PM
CF Pro Member

You won't be able to move the shifter or remove the key until you install a new/recharged battery or temporarily hook up a pair of jumper cables like I mentioned earlier. Do you drive the car daily or does it sit for long periods of time? If it sits for longer than a week at a time you should disconnect the battery.
Old October 26th, 2018, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same

Same thing happened to me today... Tried to turn on a light and nothing. So i get my keys and tried to start the car. Windshield wipers turned on out of nowhere. It won't turn over, but radio works, lights outside turn on. Dash is on. Windshield wipers are always on. AND now my key is stuck too!
Old January 2nd, 2019, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

We are having the same issue on our 2012 Equinox. Any ideas how to get this fixed?
Old January 2nd, 2019, 5:37 PM
CF Pro Member

Originally Posted by Paula Sanders Blackwell
We are having the same issue on our 2012 Equinox. Any ideas how to get this fixed?
​​​​​Scroll up and read posts 2 and 4 in this thread.
The following users liked this post:
Jzuccatto (April 10th, 2020)