Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Crankshaft Receded Inside Motor - Plz Help

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2021, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crankshaft Receded Inside Motor - Plz Help

Long story short, did a head gasket job on this 2010 equinox, finished the job all was well but there was heavy oil dripping. Boom put new crankshaft seal on and now i cannot put my harmonic balancer on. it looks and appears to be all the way on but the crankshaft is not flush with the outside of the balancer, it just spins freely. To be clear the the indent on the crankshaft will not reach the slot on the balancer..
Looking from the top of the motor the balancer looks perfect.......
Please tell me i didnt ruin something. I ran the vehicle for 40 minutes bleeding out coolant and checking the job over. Sounded perfect.. I restarted the vehicle after a coolant burp and it sounded terrible. i quickly shut it off and went to check on things. I removed the serpentine belt and immediatelty noticed the balancer would spin freely and was not correctly on the crankshaft. bolt also was loose. i replaced the seal and thats were we stand right now. I fudged around a little bit but could'nt get it to fell like it set. Was hoping i could get it on and maybe draw it tight with the impact gun...Im hoping i did'nt ruin this ladies vehicle as i don't have 5k to give her. .
Thanks in advance fir the answers...
Old November 16th, 2021, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

No one has an answer for this? Winter is here and i need to get this done before snowfall.
Any help is appreciated.
Old November 16th, 2021, 2:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

Post pictures of the end of the crankshaft that is in question. Did the key fall out of the keyway? This would cause what you are describing.
Old November 16th, 2021, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Appreciate the response old chevy, here ya go.
I put a bolt in the crankshaft and turned the motor 2 revolutions with a breaker bar. good compression and no metal clanging or banging so thats good i guess.
As you can see in the pictures the shaft should be flush with the outside of the harmonic balancer. Far from it here a good inch or 2.

The pulley is all the way on here lol. Ive never seen anything like this..

Old November 16th, 2021, 4:47 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

I did some work on my son's S10 recently and the shaft was not flush with the balancer either. If the dampener lines up with the other pulleys then you should be good. I can see the keyway in the dampener but can't tell if the key is there or not.
Old November 16th, 2021, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

I can see the key, looks a little wonky......i will take better pic tomorrow