Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Do you like your engine?

Search this Thread

Old October 1st, 2009, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like your engine?

I'm about to buy a 2010 Equinox but I can't decide which engine to get. The difference in gas between a 4 and the 6 is about $400 a year or less, so not a big deal. I know I liked the 6 when I drove it, but the 4 wasn't bad at all. Then there's the whole 'do I need AWD' debate in my head. What has been your mileage?
Old October 1st, 2009, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default re: mileage

I have 09 sport w/3.6 & 6speed fwd, for tow behind motorhome. 1500mile trip last weekend, @78mph 23.7 mpg, @ 73mph 25.6 mpg, @ 66mph 31.1 mpg.........car "flies". Sport ride is too rough for my tastes but only way to get 6-speed in 09. I will replace 18" wheels with higher profile tires & 17" wheels ASAP. dp
Old November 23rd, 2009, 12:21 PM
CF Beginner

There isn't a large enough difference in performance to justify paying for the V6 and then paying to fill up more often. My LTZ is a 4 banger.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 7:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Our 07 AWD is a v6 and the mileage is barely 21. I'm quite dissappointed in the mileage give that our old Blazer with a bigger motor got better than that. I atribute at least part of the problem to the AWD. This thing just will not coast. The point where I let off the gas coming into town is a couple hundred yards later than with my Silverado. This tells me that there is more drag in the driveline. So I have to be on the gas longer at every intersection than with the truck or the old Blazer.
Bob
Old June 25th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Beginner

Hi, My wife and I test drove the 2010 4 cylinder. We did not like it all. very noisy when you get on it. There was no 3.0l V-6 available for us to test drive so we ended up getting a V-6 3.4l that has reasonable get up and go. Our average mileage mixed city freeway is anywhere between 21-24 miles per gallon over a commute of 58 miles per day. Very comfortable vehicle. Since this was pre-owned I have already figured out and fixed the rear trunk water leak. Am working on an intermittent electrical problem and I believe I have located and fixed it last night. Otherwise a great vehicle as far as I am concerned. From my personal perspective I will not go with the 4 cylinders performance for the couple of extra miles per gallon.
Old June 25th, 2010, 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

As an owner of 4cyls from Honda, Acura, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda (and Chevy in the past)...I think I can safely say that the 2.4 Ecotec is probably the best of the bunch. It is smooth for a large 4 banger, (don't be fooled by the low rpm idle) and revs easily to provide surprisingly good around town scoot...and adequate passing power on the highway. I never thought I would ever own a 4cyl as good as the legendary AE86 in the Toyota Corolla GTS I had in high school, but the Ecotec has the same smoothness and revability...but produces more power and gobs more torque than that engine. American makers aren't known for having the best 4cyl engines, but I think Chevy not only got this one right but also beat some of the foreign competition. I would only go for the V6 if you know that you're going to be towing more than a couple of jetskis on a regular basis.

edit- last road trip got me about 28.7 mpg, but that includes some hills and my impatience (lead foot) behind the wheel.

Last edited by JoeNox; June 25th, 2010 at 6:25 PM.
Old August 20th, 2010, 5:24 AM
CF Beginner

Smile agree on engine choice

I also have an Equinox 4 cylinder LT1 FWD and am pleased with the perfomance. It isn't the fastest off the line, but will keep up with the traffic at stop lights, etc. The engine is quiet and performs very well compared with the Cavalier I replaced it with. On trips it is quiet and has all the power I want when I want it. I was worried that it would be slow on the highway but it has no problem with keeping up with the traffic and passing when necessary with no problems. I find the car to be one of the best I have owned and I am in my 70's with many previous cars owned. In over 50 years of driving I think Chevy has finally made a winner.
Old October 15th, 2010, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default 6 cly is the only way to go

I have an 2008 Equinox Sport with the 6 cyl. and a 2006 HHR with the 180 hp 4 cyl. Ecotec engine. The difference is amazing. If i were to buy a 2010 Equinox I would get the 6 cyl. Gas mileage is not that important to me, having the available HP is. If I could I would put the 6 cyl. engine in my HHR. Get the 6 cyl. engine!
Old October 25th, 2010, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2011 4 cylinder. I think this motor is going to be one of the all time great production 4 bangers - it's that good. Plus, institutions like "Ward's top 10" also love it. I can't speak for the 6, but I love the 4 and when I drive the Nox, I can't believe it's powered by a 4 banger.

But, this is my run around the area car, and I don't race stop light to stop light. The Nox reaches crusing speed on the street or on the interestate very comfortably. If you need to race around the dude who just flew by and cut you off in the Acura MDX, your heavy foot on the accelator might be disappointed.
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MonteCarlo56
I have a 2011 4 cylinder. I think this motor is going to be one of the all time great production 4 bangers - it's that good. Plus, institutions like "Ward's top 10" also love it. I can't speak for the 6, but I love the 4 and when I drive the Nox, I can't believe it's powered by a 4 banger.

But, this is my run around the area car, and I don't race stop light to stop light. The Nox reaches crusing speed on the street or on the interestate very comfortably. If you need to race around the dude who just flew by and cut you off in the Acura MDX, your heavy foot on the accelator might be disappointed.
Exactly...like I said in my earlier post, I have quite an extensive experience with 4cyls and I can honestly say that this Ecotec 2.4 is the best of the bunch. People who demand stump pulling torque won't quite get it though...and are better off sticking with full size SUV gas hogs.

Quick Reply: Do you like your engine?