Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

equinox knocking

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2018, 8:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default equinox knocking

Hi i hope someone here can help i have a knocking in my 2006 3.4 v6 equinox i thought was rocker slop but i have checked it and all the rockers are tight (no slop even through TDC) . has any body come across this before and if so how did you fix it.

thanks in advance for any help you can give
Old September 7th, 2018, 8:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by holedoc
Hi i hope someone here can help i have a knocking in my 2006 3.4 v6 equinox i thought was rocker slop but i have checked it and all the rockers are tight (no slop even through TDC) . has any body come across this before and if so how did you fix it.

Might be a bad knock sensor. They are not expensive at all.
Old September 7th, 2018, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Might be a bad knock sensor. They are not expensive at all.
Thanks for the reply. would that sensor give the same sound as valve rocker slop
Old September 7th, 2018, 11:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks for the reply. would that sensor give the same sound as valve rocker slop
Not sure as I dont own, or have worked on a Equinox 3.4Lmotor, but the sensor detects knocking before you hear it, depending on lots of
factors including fuel octane levels.

Knocking is more of a pinging noise, but can get up to a clapping noise if bad enough, so that may not be your issue.

There are some complains about the 2006 Nox 3.4 liter making noise that you'll see here:

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrolet/Equinox/
Old September 8th, 2018, 1:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Unless your Check Engine light is on, I doubt the knock sensor is bad. Those always trigger a corresponding troublecode when they fail.

How long have you had the vehicle? Did you just notice it or has it done it all the time? Is the Check Engine light on...any codes? The 3.4L engine is a bit louder than most folks are used to as it is. Make sure it's not just the fuel injectors you're hearing.

GM has issued a TSB that suggests excessive exhaust valve stem to valve guide clearance may cause a lifter tick type of noise. It goes on to say that the finish on the original exhaust valves may have worn the valve guides, and that new exhaust valves and cylinder heads need to be installed to correct the issue.

TSB_08-06-01-022_2006-2008_Equinox_Torrent.pdf

Last edited by ruley73; September 8th, 2018 at 1:39 AM.