Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Equinox won't start after dead battery, brake pedal stiff

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2021, 9:05 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Equinox won't start after dead battery, brake pedal stiff

Hi everyone. I got covid so didn't start my less than 2 years old Equinox for a few weeks, and I think the battery died. Couldn't remote start it, wasn't getting flashing lights when i'd lock it with the fob, etc. I used an 8 Amp/2 Amp battery charger/maintainer to recharge the battery (according to that device) while it's still in the car. Took a good 10 hours I bet.

Now that the battery is recharged, the key fob lock/alarm stuff works again and the horn honks and lights flash, but I can't start it. When I get in the car to start it, it now gives me the message to "press brake to start" which I'm doing but the brake pedal is really stiff/firm/hard to push down, then it gives me a message saying "battery low start car" which is what I'm trying to do LOL. Before I charged the battery, it wasn't doing that so I'm thinking the fact it's telling me that stuff is minor progress.

Even after trying to start it a few times getting those same 2 messages, if I put the charger back on the battery, it goes back to saying charged after a few minutes, so I'm hoping that means the battery is ok maybe.

Is there like something else I have to "reset" somehow now that the battery is charged back up in order for it to start, or for it to recognize I'm pressing the brake pedal down when I'm trying to start it? I even tried REALLY pushing it down while it was stiff/firm to no avail. I really hope this isn't going to require an expensive tow to the dealership with an expensive repair, so appreciate any advice anyone can give me! Thanks in advance!!!!
Old February 3rd, 2021, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had a similar issue last year: dead battery.

Car was towed to an GM dealer in PA (we were on the way South); car was on warranty.

They unlock break and transmission but couldn't find the source of the problem.

Finally, at the end of the second day in garage, the disconnected the recharged battery overnight to «reset».

Next morning the re-establish all the set-up. Every thing was OK.

You can read the «story» by searching «Equinox used as a toad» on this forum.

Hope it help.

Stay positive !
Old February 9th, 2021, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any feedback ?
Old October 12th, 2021, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I came across this when I had the same thing happen with my 2019 equinox and found a solution for it. I had to use the key in the keyfob to lock and unlock the door and then the equinox started right up.