Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

exhaust smell inside

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default exhaust smell inside

Just had the pistons changed due to oil consumption. Also had a cracked Exhaust manifold, which was repaired. We have an exhaust leak in the pre-muffler. But we have had that leak for a few months. Now since the exhaust mainfold was changed the smell of exhaust is strong inside the cabin. Anybody else have this issue? I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
Equinox 2010 never again (March 13th, 2023)
Old December 22nd, 2013, 3:33 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

1badBlueSS,

Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with your vehicle. Please keep us posted on your visit with the dealership, and if there is anything we can do to try and help, feel free to let us know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old December 29th, 2013, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We took it back to the dealer and they found a hole in the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. They replaced the gasket for free. However.....we still smell exhaust in the cabin. I called them and we are dropping the Equinox off again tomorrow morning. Its such a pain that we have to take it again.
Old December 29th, 2013, 3:05 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badBlueSS
We took it back to the dealer and they found a hole in the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converter. They replaced the gasket for free. However.....we still smell exhaust in the cabin. I called them and we are dropping the Equinox off again tomorrow morning. Its such a pain that we have to take it again.
We're glad that the dealer was able to quickly figure out this issue with your vehicle. I understand how you feel; it is very inconvenient to have to return to your dealer for repairs. I can assure you that your dealership is in the best position to correct this issue for you, and will do all they can to get the situation resolved. If you'd like for us to document this within a case file, please message us your name, VIN, mileage, and full contact information.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 27th, 2020, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same problem here

Was just wondering what was found out about the equinox that had work done at dealers including a cracked manifold. I to had this same recall work done with my equinox and now have the smell of exhaust coming through the vents when idling. We have brought it to the dealership several times and they can’t seem to find the problem. We even had a whole new exhaust system put in. Anything you can tell us would be awesome so we can figure out next step. They are tired of seeing us. Thank you. Jason
Old February 17th, 2021, 10:40 PM
CF Beginner

Did anyone figure out the problem and fix the exhaust smell? I have a 2016 Equinox and I have taken my car back to where I bought it many times and they cant seem to figure it out. I really need to know what it is so if I take it to the dealer they arent charging me for the time it takes to diagnose problem. Single mom who doesnt have alot of extra cash. Any tips would be great!
Old March 2nd, 2021, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2016 equinox exhaust smell in cab

Originally Posted by Laurel Carter Devine
Did anyone figure out the problem and fix the exhaust smell? I have a 2016 Equinox and I have taken my car back to where I bought it many times and they cant seem to figure it out. I really need to know what it is so if I take it to the dealer they arent charging me for the time it takes to diagnose problem. Single mom who doesnt have alot of extra cash. Any tips would be great!
I have the same issue. Mostly notice when idling. Am taking to a local shop not dealer tomorrow. Will advise if I learn anything
Old March 6th, 2021, 11:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Exhaust smell

Originally Posted by William Brill
I have the same issue. Mostly notice when idling. Am taking to a local shop not dealer tomorrow. Will advise if I learn anything
any further update on this? We’re having the same issue with our 2018 Equinox.
Old August 10th, 2021, 11:05 AM

Default Probably cracked catalytic section

Originally Posted by bethw
any further update on this? We’re having the same issue with our 2018 Equinox.
Originally Posted by William Brill
If you already replaced the manifold but still smelling exhaust fumes/ loud exhaust noise coming from the front, then there must be a hole/crack near or on the catalytic converter section. Mine was on the part where it bolts to the manifold, so it threw me off into thinking the old manifold was causing it (and manifold did have a small crack, but the catalytic crack was waaay bigger). Anyway, you can either replace that cat section or just have the crack welded to save money. I removed mine myself and had a muffler shop weld it for $30. If you live in CA or NY, you should just get it welded because you cannot buy the cheaper $100 aftermarket cat, even though it's the very same cat as the $1000+ CARB approved ones. Ridiculous 1000% markup in the name of corruptio.....I mean environmental reasons. Anyway, hope this helps.

​​​​​​​