Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Extended Crank= Fuel pump issues???

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2012, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Crank= Fuel pump issues???

I've got a 2008 Equinox and on the whole I like it but over the last month it has started to have an extended crank when starting. It sometimes takes a couple tries to start but then runs just fine. It's an intermittent issue, but I talked to a mechanic friend who said it could be a fuel pump! I've only got about 56k miles on it! Anybody know of any TSB's that cover this or should I got the dealer and try to argue it???
TIA
Old December 18th, 2012, 2:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Did you buy the extended warranty? If so, go to the dealer. If not, there is an easy fix for this. Put a check valve in the fuel line near the gas tank. I did it and solved my problem. This is much easier than changing a fuel pump and much cheaper.
Old December 18th, 2012, 5:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is normal when you crank it, and it continues to crank when you release the key. The computer controls the crank relay and when you turn the key to start position, it will crank the car until it starts or for 4-6 seconds. As for the extended crank condition, does the temperature gauge on the cluster read right? If you clear the codes, do they reset right away? A scan tool that could read data from the computer, and it would be nice to see what the readings are from the sensors. Check it with an automotive shop to clear the codes and see how long it takes for the light to come back on.
Old December 19th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Kari Anton,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Equinox vehicle. The fuel is a possible cause for this concern. If you PM me the last 8-digits of your VIN, I can check my resources for any known issues.

Otherwise, I would recommend having the vehicle inspected by a certified technician for an official diagnosis and repair option(s).

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 9th, 2013, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Did you buy the extended warranty? If so, go to the dealer. If not, there is an easy fix for this. Put a check valve in the fuel line near the gas tank. I did it and solved my problem. This is much easier than changing a fuel pump and much cheaper.
Are you saying you placed a check valve in the return line or the feed line? What style check valve?
Old January 9th, 2013, 11:33 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

I put it in the feed line near the tank. I bought the check valve on Ebay. Don't remember the exact one. You need to get one rated for fuel. You will also need some fuel hose and clamps. Make sure you get the fuel hose for fuel injected engines as the regular hose can handle the higher pressures.
Old January 9th, 2013, 1:47 PM
CF Beginner

Other members with a 2005 model may want to look at this, if having the same issues:

2005 Chevrolet Classic TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | ChevroletProblems.com

NHTSA # 10017551

GM TSB # 05539

PCM issue (defective chip) which controls fuel pump and EGR functions.