Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Front Brake noise and shutter

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2017, 3:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Brake noise and shutter

The kid has a 2011 Equinox AWD with a 3l engine, it was previously very abused. Broken sway bar , swap bar links broken rear parking brake packed solid with mud, grinding sound from the left front brake when the brakes are applied gently, but not there when the brake is firmly pushed. I have replaced most of the damages parts as well as the brake pads, rotors and rear shoes, but the noise is still there. I have put in new pins in the calipers and even that didn't stop it. There are no fluid leaks, the steering wheel does not pull left or right when the brakes are applied. I just ordered new front calipers, because I wonder if one of the pins is not sliding freely enough, and if there is damage to the bore.
Has anyone else had this problem? Years ago I had a 2006 Impala and it did something like this and I found a stone jammed into the gap between the caliper and the holder
Old August 22nd, 2017, 8:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

do you feel the shudder in the steering wheel or brake pedal

did you replace front and rear rotors
Old August 23rd, 2017, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shudder

You can feel it in the steering wheel and ithe only is in a narrow speed band 48 to 30 kpm, but if the window is open you can hear a grinding sound on and off . All the rotors and pads and even the parking brake shoes have been replaced. If someone is on the passengers side , with the window down they don't hear the sound from that side. I can just take my foot off the throttle and let it roll through the 48 to 30 zone and there is no feeling from the steering wheel.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 8:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if your feeling a shimmy in the steering wheel only when braking...the new rotors may have some run out...typically it would be worse at higher speeds. try a light brake application at 110 kmph.

when runnout is small the shimmey/ and thump noise is felt just as you initially step into the brakes and goes away when you step into it hard.

Last edited by tech2; August 23rd, 2017 at 8:51 PM.
Old August 29th, 2017, 12:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today the new caliper came in it took about 30 minutes and everything is normal now. So it was either damaged bores on the slide pins or the piston. But knowing the previous owner thought driving in deep mud was fun I expect one of the rubber boots failed and mud damaged it.