Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Fuel and temperature gauge

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2017, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel and temperature gauge

I have a 2007 Chevy Equinox and recently the gas gauge has gone to empty when I know the gas tank is full. Can it b a fuse of some type?
Old July 13th, 2017, 5:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Do the other gauges work? Most likely it is the sender in the fuel pump.
Old July 13th, 2017, 9:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Pay attention to your gauges just after you start the engine. Just after the engine starts, the fuel gauge needle should go to full (just like all the other needles move) and go to empty for the self-test then revert back to the actual fuel level. If you don't see the needle move to full, the stepper motor for the fuel gauge needle is probably going bad.

Our Equinox recently started doing the same thing on occasion. The fuses are probably fine. If a fuse were blown none of the other gauges would be working. I don't think it's the fuel sending unit because the DIC still indicates ​​​​the correct distance to empty on ours. Once in a while the fuel gauge needle sometimes doesn't go to full like it should during the self-test and stays at empty after starting the engine. It usually starts working again after two or three restarts.

​​​Also, there are two fuel sending units [a primary (right) and a secondary (left)] because the fuel tank is shaped like a saddle to provide clearance for the rear drive shaft on AWD models. The FWD models are set up the same way even though a rear shaft isn't there.

Last edited by ruley73; July 16th, 2017 at 9:38 PM.