Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

How to make an overhaul of a LEA engine

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2020, 1:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make an overhaul of a LEA engine

Let me ask you a question. The engine is eating oil. 110k mi. I have a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox 2.4 with a LEA engine. Can I replace the liners on it, or the casting block and need to bore the cylinder block?

Last edited by tolikmelnikov; August 21st, 2020 at 1:37 AM.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 2:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

If you really want to rebuild it, I’d recommend just taking the block and heads to a reputable machine shop for inspection and repair as necessary. A good machine shop will advise you on the best repair for the condition of the block.

Old August 23rd, 2020, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank! But I do not live in the USA and I need to order parts a month in advance, so I want to know what type of block in my engine - with removable liners or not.
Old August 23rd, 2020, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

The LEA is an aluminum block with cast iron cylinder sleeves. There is a machining tolerance of .25 mm if they need to be bored and a matching set of oversized piston rings are available if boring is done.

Even in replacing the sleeves, machine work will have to be done. The sleeves are made to be a few thousandths longer than the block, so after installation, the block still has to be machined to flatten it out or the head and gasket won’t seal correctly.

Worn piston rings and glazing on the cylinder walls are the most common causes of oil consumption on these engines. I can appreciate the need to plan ahead but both of these conditions can be corrected without replacing the sleeves. If the engine is otherwise running fine (no hard misfires due to mechanical failure or bearing noise) it’s unlikely the sleeves will need replacement.