Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Key stuck, no power.

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2013, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key stuck, no power.

I have a 2009 Equinox FWD LS. I put the key in the ignition and it turns to the on position, does not start. No clicks, no dash lights. The only dash light recently when it was working was reminding me that my oil was at 5% and a low tire warning (censor went out a few months ago and have a normal valve stem now). It won't turn all the way to the off position and the key is stuck. The steering wheel turns fully in both directions. The shifter is free of coins.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 7:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Release the steering wheel lock on your Equinox. If you have an automatic transmission, put the vehicle in park and put your car key in the ignition. Put your left hand on the steering wheel and your right hand on the ignition key and simultaneously turn the steering wheel left and right while you turn the ignition key to the right. This may allow you to turn the ignition key immediately. Clean your key. Debris or buildup of any kind can warp the fit of the ignition key to the Equinox's ignition. Remove any debris inside the ignition switch. Try to start the Equinox with a spare key. Sometimes the primary car key becomes bent or chipped and fails to function properly. Ensure that your car is in park. If you have an automatic transmission, be sure that your gear selector is placed fully in the park position. If the selector is not completely in park the key will not turn.
The following users liked this post:
Marita Hensley (October 25th, 2019)
Old July 22nd, 2013, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Already did that. Sorry, no dice.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

It still sounds to me like an issue with the shifter cable or the park/neutral safety switch. Does the gauge cluster indicate that the shifter is in Park?

The park/neutral switch is a separate part on 2005-2006 models, but is integrated into the Transmission Control Module on 2007-2009 models (w/3400 engine & Aisin 5-speed transmission)

Try moving the shifter through all the gear positions then give it a firm push into park.
The following users liked this post:
Marita Hensley (October 25th, 2019)
Old July 23rd, 2013, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Update. I was able to jump the car last night. I was unable to do this before. It drove fine, no problems. I took it to Advance to have the battery and alternator checked, both were ok. I drove to work (Paramedic) and today it wouldn't start. I jumped it again with the ambulance (lol) and starting turning things on to try to find out if something was draining the battery. The rear wiper arm hasn't worked for a few weeks, and it was the last button I pushed... The most terrible grinding noise came from it. I turned off the car and went to the back of the car, it was humming. With the keys out and the wiper button off it was still humming. I took off the panel and removed the motor, it hummed the whole time until I could get to the power connection. It was very hot and had the smell of burnt wire. I couldn't just remove the fuse, same fuse as the front wipers. I hope this fixes the problem, just thought I would update.

I"ll post again tomorrow if this fixed the problem. Just in case anyone else has this issue in the future.
Old July 24th, 2013, 12:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmie Meadows
Update. I was able to jump the car last night. I was unable to do this before. It drove fine, no problems. I took it to Advance to have the battery and alternator checked, both were ok. I drove to work (Paramedic) and today it wouldn't start. I jumped it again with the ambulance (lol) and starting turning things on to try to find out if something was draining the battery. The rear wiper arm hasn't worked for a few weeks, and it was the last button I pushed... The most terrible grinding noise came from it. I turned off the car and went to the back of the car, it was humming. With the keys out and the wiper button off it was still humming. I took off the panel and removed the motor, it hummed the whole time until I could get to the power connection. It was very hot and had the smell of burnt wire. I couldn't just remove the fuse, same fuse as the front wipers. I hope this fixes the problem, just thought I would update.

I"ll post again tomorrow if this fixed the problem. Just in case anyone else has this issue in the future.
The rear wiper motor is probably burned up. Ours did the same thing a couple years ago. It's pretty easy to replace yourself. Click on this link to view my thread about replacing it for more info.
Old November 9th, 2013, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

windshield wipers on 2007 equinox act like they are hung up..at first they worked if i pulled on them and now they dont work at all i can pull on them and they will go up but that is all they will do
Old November 11th, 2013, 6:11 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by bmalpass2000
windshield wipers on 2007 equinox act like they are hung up..at first they worked if i pulled on them and now they dont work at all i can pull on them and they will go up but that is all they will do
If you're looking to correct this issue yourself, we're sure you'll get some valuable advice throughout the threads. Sorry that you're having some trouble with your wipers, and if you'd like for us to check into this further for you, feel free to send us a PM.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 17th, 2013, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Jimmie Meadows
I have a 2009 Equinox FWD LS. I put the key in the ignition and it turns to the on position, does not start. No clicks, no dash lights. The only dash light recently when it was working was reminding me that my oil was at 5% and a low tire warning (censor went out a few months ago and have a normal valve stem now). It won't turn all the way to the off position and the key is stuck. The steering wheel turns fully in both directions. The shifter is free of coins.
Hi, the same thing happened to me today. Key got stuck, reduced engine power came up. Only bought car 4 days ago. Wondering what happened with your problem?
Old November 17th, 2013, 12:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
If you're looking to correct this issue yourself, we're sure you'll get some valuable advice throughout the threads. Sorry that you're having some trouble with your wipers, and if you'd like for us to check into this further for you, feel free to send us a PM.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi Amber, I only bought my equinox 4 days ago 2007. What would you recommend that I do now? I am having same problems as Jimmie. Reduced engine power , key got stuck, back wipers won't work.

Please advise !

Quick Reply: Key stuck, no power.