Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

New to equinox - is wifi worth it?

Search this Thread

Old October 9th, 2020, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to equinox - is wifi worth it?

I recently purchased a gently used 2018 Equinox. With it came 3 months free OnStar, and WIFI services. I found that if my own car connects to its WIFI service i can use the apps on the car. Is there a way for my car to connect to my phone's hotspot to operate those apps, while say using apple car play for listening?
That would eliminate the need for OnStar WIFI services correct?
Old October 10th, 2020, 6:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by STEPHFSCH2020
I recently purchased a gently used 2018 Equinox. With it came 3 months free OnStar, and WIFI services. I found that if my own car connects to its WIFI service i can use the apps on the car. Is there a way for my car to connect to my phone's hotspot to operate those apps, while say using apple car play for listening?
That would eliminate the need for OnStar WIFI services correct?
If you like the idea that OnStar can listen in to everything in your vehicle without your knowledge, and track your every move even when your own cellphone can't since, unlike OnStar, which is satellite-based, not earthbound cellphone towers, then keep the OnStar WiFi and Bluetooth off. They sell you OnStar as a service that can locate your position in an accident anywhere on Earth, but I've no need for that at all. Grew up with landlines and two-way radio, so it's easy to not want OnStar, and to disable it completely.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; October 10th, 2020 at 6:11 AM.
Old October 10th, 2020, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find that hard to believe. We were headed to an out of town football game last year in a friends Yukon. Cell service was very low. Had a blowout and I started could’t find us at all.

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
If you like the idea that OnStar can listen in to everything in your vehicle without your knowledge, and track your every move even when your own cellphone can't since, unlike OnStar, which is satellite-based, not earthbound cellphone towers, then keep the OnStar WiFi and Bluetooth off. They sell you OnStar as a service that can locate your position in an accident anywhere on Earth, but I've no need for that at all. Grew up with landlines and two-way radio, so it's easy to not want OnStar, and to disable it completely.