Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

No heat below 1500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2015, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post No heat below 1500 RPM

I have a 2006 Chevy Equinox that is getting no heat below 1500 RPM's. It had a new heater core and the mixing door replaced in late 2013. It work fine until earlier this year. it started off getting cooler not as hot as above 1500 RPM's to were I am now with no heat below 1500 RPM's. I am not leaking coolant and the system does appear not to have air in it. I did hear about water pumps having corroded blades which can cause this problem. I'm looking for advice on this problem and if I am going in the right direction replacing the water pump? The A/C did work good all summer but I need heat now, it's cool here in Indiana. Thanks
Old November 30th, 2015, 1:14 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect a thermostat is not sealed closed tight enough. Is the engine temperature normal?
Old November 30th, 2015, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Bern, It looks to be normal but I guess I am not sure what normal is. The gauge needle is between the first and half way mark more to the half way mark. I have not had the Equinox long and that is where it has always been for me.
Old December 1st, 2015, 9:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

if you have no heat at idle and heat at 1500 rpm; air in the cooling system is the most likely cause. the water pump forces more coolant through the heater core at higher rpm. the core is designed to create a slight restriction to flow for better heat exchange.

I have dealt with this many times on U vans. I partially drain the system and then vacuum fill it.

Alternatively, you could fill it and open the bleed valves...then do multiple thermocycles but who has that kind of time.

Last edited by tech2; December 1st, 2015 at 9:23 PM.