Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Onstar Battery

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2018, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar Battery

The battery for my '08 Equinox has died, how do I go about getting this fixed, it is killing my car battery, 2 time I have had to replace my car battery due to the Onstar system. Is the Onstar battery a reacall item, if not it should be.
Old September 13th, 2018, 2:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajunrach
The battery for my '08 Equinox has died, how do I go about getting this fixed, it is killing my car battery, 2 time I have had to replace my car battery due to the Onstar system. Is the Onstar battery a reacall item, if not it should be.
There are no recalls related to the OnStar battery that I'm aware of. You should first read this Technical Service Bulletin.

PIC4541A-10-26-2007-onstar-back-up-battery-failure.pdf

How did you determine that the OnStar battery is the cause of the issue? How long did your main battery last before failing again?

Unfortunately, the OnStar module/battery is a discontinued part (p/n 88861257). If you don't have an OnStar subscription anyways, you might be able to just disconnect the plug going to the OnStar battery/module under the driver's seat.

Here is an external link you may find helpful.

https://www.equinoxforum.net/29-1st-...onstar-xm.html

Last edited by ruley73; September 13th, 2018 at 2:43 PM.
Old September 13th, 2018, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My main battery died after one year. Yes, I know it is because of the Onstar system, since it was by an Onstar diagnostics scan of my car that told me my Onstar sytem is not functioning properly due to the Onstar battery. I have an Onstar subscription, with no plans of discontinuing it at this time. So what you are saying, since the battery I need is a discontinue part, I will be replacing my main battery each year. Nah, there got to be another option, I'm not buying that.
Old September 13th, 2018, 5:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajunrach
My main battery died after one year. Yes, I know it is because of the Onstar system, since it was by an Onstar diagnostics scan of my car that told me my Onstar sytem is not functioning properly due to the Onstar battery. I have an Onstar subscription, with no plans of discontinuing it at this time. So what you are saying, since the battery I need is a discontinue part, I will be replacing my main battery each year. Nah, there got to be another option, I'm not buying that.
Read the thread in the link I posted. That's probably your only option since the correct part is discontinued. It wouldn't hurt to check with the stealership to see if there is another option. My guess is that they will tell you you're SOL.

I'm hoping tech2 might be able to chime in with a suggestion.

The likelihood of finding a used module from a junkyard that is still good is slim to none as they were only used in 2007-2009 Equinox/Torrent. If the key was left on when the vehicle was junked out the module is definitely no good.