Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Owner Beware: about dealer oil changes

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2018, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owner Beware: about dealer oil changes

Some dealers don't change OIL filters, ever.

My mom has a 2014 Equinox with 30+k on the ODO and still had original filter from factory. How do I know? the seal from factory was still there...

Check your cars asap if you have the dealer or jiffy lube or the like change your oil...

Blue seal still there from factory.... hmmmmm

Obviously new filter is up top and original below.

Pics attached for reference.

You have been warned.

Old August 8th, 2018, 1:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Glad that hasn't happened to me. You must have a very shady dealer.
Old August 8th, 2018, 6:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Glad that hasn't happened to me. You must have a very shady dealer.
This is the kind of stuff that the "quick lube" places do, not a Chevy dealership.

This should be reported to Chevrolet. Putting a new oil filter cartridge takes what, 5 minutes?

Maybe 10 minutes, if you are picky like me.
Old August 8th, 2018, 7:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

I wouldn't jump to conclusions. That blue seal could have been put there by the dealership. The used oil filter doesn't look like an OEM filter at all, so there's no way it's the factory-installed one. The retaining lip for the filter media is too thin, it has too many pegs on the bottom, and the OEM filter media has many more pleats in it.

I also think that filter would look far worse after 30K miles. Mine looks about like that sometimes after 5K miles.
Old August 8th, 2018, 7:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by ruley73
I wouldn't jump to conclusions. That blue seal could have been put there by the dealership. The used oil filter doesn't look like an OEM filter at all, so there's no way it's the factory-installed one. The retaining lip for the filter media is too thin, it has too many pegs on the bottom, and the OEM filter media has many more pleats in it.

I also think that filter would look far worse after 30K miles. Mine looks about like that sometimes after 5K miles.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. My old 2002 Cavalier 2.2 liter had that same filter setup. Probably a Fram el chepo filter!