Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Permanently Removing Start/Stop Technology

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2020, 10:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Permanently Removing Start/Stop Technology

Hello Guys. I am new to this forum just having bought a 2021 Equinox (in Canada).

Is there a permanent method to undo the start/stop tech ? With my old Jeep Ccherokee, a pressure switch under the hood could be uncoupled and it turned it off.

What about the Chevy vehicles?
Old December 9th, 2020, 3:50 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LOyer
Hello Guys. I am new to this forum just having bought a 2021 Equinox (in Canada).

Is there a permanent method to undo the start/stop tech ? With my old Jeep Ccherokee, a pressure switch under the hood could be uncoupled and it turned it off.

What about the Chevy vehicles?
I'm not the least bit familiar with the 2021 Equinox, but I'd think that unplugging the hood switch should also disable stop/start in the Equinox. This would also disable remote start, and you would also likely see a hood open/ajar message in the cluster, so I don't think this is a good way to disable it IMO. I did find out that 2021 is the first year Equinox to get a button that allows you to disable it, but it resets at every engine startup. I'm sure someone will come up with a gadget that will permanently disable it. They already have one for other models that basically remembers the toggle of the stop/start disable button so it doesn't reset at each startup.

We have a 2018 Chrysler Pacifica minivan with stop/start. I just disconnected the negative cable from the small auxiliary battery to disable it. The only side effect is that this causes a warning message to pop-up for three seconds at every engine startup and and the corresponding warning light remains on after the message disappears. The light isn't much of a distraction at all. This won't work with your Equinox, but it should work on your Jeep Cherokee if it has two batteries like our Pacifica does.
Old December 25th, 2020, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto stop on Equinox

https://www.smartstopstart.com/. Her is a link to solve your problem. I installed this on my 2019 Equinox and works perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
tech2 (December 26th, 2020)
Old July 14th, 2021, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Money saved versus cost of starter replace

Comment about the money saved with the auto shut off on a 2019 Equinox versus the replacement of the starter:

Rate of gas consumed at idle for a 2.0 engine: .16 gal/hr. = 20.48 oz./hr.
Hours at idle to equal one gallon of gas consumed: 6.25 hrs./gal.
New starter installation cost: Average $485.00
Estimate of cost of a gallon of regular gas: $3.00
Number of hours with engine shut down to equal the cost of the starter replacement: 161 hours

Put your transmission in the L position and push the + symbol on top of the transmission shifter until you see a 6 or 8 (maximum number of shifts your transmission has) appears on the dash. Your vehicle will drive normally but not automatically stop the engine each time you come to a halt. This auto stop feature is not worth the wear and tear on your car. If it is not the starter that wears out first it will be your battery from so many starts. Each time you remove the shifter out of the L position you will have to reset with the + on top of the shifter while in the L position. Not as inconvenient as you may think.
Old July 15th, 2021, 7:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other starter failure leaves you stranded in a safe parking space but stop/start leaves you stranded while you are driving and usually in the middle of a busy intersection.. #$%! that. Even if it saved an extra dollar on gas each time you use the car (and it doesn't) it's not worth that risk. It was about $1200 to replace the starter and second battery on my 2015 Malibu so no savings at all in the long run and one big bill all at once. Before that I NEVER had a starter fail on a modern car, not since the 1970s anyway and that was only because my first car needed a tune up and was hard to start. Stop/Start is a bad idea and not safe when it causes a failure.
Old September 5th, 2021, 2:24 AM
CF Beginner

I used this on my 2019 Equinox Premier and it worked great. It also did not break my key-fob remote start or remote-start with the my chevy app.
Amazon Amazon