Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2013, 3:50 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help

Hello everyone.

I desperatly need help. I have a 2007 chevy eqiunox and within the last couple months or so the service stabilitrek and service traction control lights have been staying on. I remember they came on when it was raining so I thought it was no big deal. Well, since then the car's traction is so bad, that I drive it LOW until I get about 35mph. I know this much be killing the transmition, but I have heard that this problem can be the ERG valve, or ball berrings, or even just a sensor. I have taken it to AutoZone and when they hooked up the diagnostic, apparently a list of ten or more things came on the screen, but I doubt it could be that bad...Can someone please lend some insight to this problem?

Please!
Old September 6th, 2013, 8:09 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, a few things can cause those warning messages. I would not replace the EGR valve unless you are getting EGR-related troublecodes. Your check engine light would be lit up if this were the case. Aside from that a bad sensor or bad wiring going to a sensor is the most likely cause. Unless you see visible corrosion or or wiring damage, there is no way to tell exactly what the issue is unless you take it to a shop and have it properly diagnosed or have a scantool that can read ABS codes (not likely).

If you really need to keep it in Low in at low speeds because the traction is so bad in the rain, you definitely need to get some new (different brand/model) tires. Of course, proper inflation makes a difference. Chevy recommends 30 PSI for the Equinox, but I inflate to 35 PSI and recommend that others do as well. I have done so for 5 years, and tire wear is even.

Last edited by ruley73; September 6th, 2013 at 8:37 AM.
Old September 6th, 2013, 8:46 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I would also add that you may want to have all those error codes cleared and see what comes back, some of them could be stale and no longer apply...

I too would suggest checking all the wheel speed sensors for proper connection, don't just wiggle them pull them apart and reconnect, check for contamination/corrosion... check the sensor cable length for any damage or cuts...