Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Pulsating Brakes - Warping Rotors

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2008, 11:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulsating Brakes - Warping Rotors

Have had to remachine the front rotors now twice...once at under 18,000 km which the dealership/GM did not warranty due to their poor assessment so I took it to another garage to machine.

Now at under 45,000km I am having to remachine or replace the rotors for the third time.

I recognize that terrain, driving habit, traffic all impact wear but the brakes seem to small for the size and wt of this vehicle.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 9:05 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Pulsating Brakes - Warping Rotors

When you wash the vehicle, do you start washing as soon as you park it? Or before you drive it?
Old April 25th, 2008, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

When I do wash it, it is when the vehicle is cold unrun in the AM or after the dealership does the OLF change so I don't think it impacts it... moreso I live in a hilly area and the braking habit may be overheating the rotorsthat way.

Gonna go get new rotors and brakes from the dealership.

Old April 25th, 2008, 2:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

If you get them to put on ceramic pads, the chance of warpage is decreased. They release heat a lot better than the semi-metal pads.
Old April 25th, 2008, 3:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You may want to invest in a set a rotors that are cross drilled as well as the ceramic pads that EuroGold mentioned. They will disipate the heat better while coming down the hills in your area.

http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A2852A0A0.aspx
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Anybody get OEM cross drilled rotors or ceramic brake pads from a dealership for the Equinox?

I may go aftermarket too but am told that at least the dealership offers a 1 yr warranty and some mileage guarantee. Any thoughts?
Old April 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Go aftermarket....They will offer a warranty that compares to OEM and will have a better product
Old May 2nd, 2008, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

goto a reputable parts store, do the research, theres alot of poor quality rotors out there
Old May 12th, 2008, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Liberator

Have had to remachine the front rotors now twice...once at under 18,000 km which the dealership/GM did not warranty due to their poor assessment so I took it to another garage to machine.

Now at under 45,000km I am having to remachine or replace the rotors for the third time.

I recognize that terrain, driving habit, traffic all impact wear but the brakes seem to small for the size and wt of this vehicle.
Make sure when you have your tires rotated or changed, that they are being torqued on properly. This ensure that rotors are properly aligned.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Mine is doing the same thing. Instead of blaming the heating of the brakes, I'm inclined to believe it's the tire people effing the rotors up. In fact, I'd bet my left nut on it since they NEVER use a torque wrench and the air guns they use are very powerful and will ruin rotors in a heartbeat.

I loan them my Craftsman torque wrench and watch them use it! It's really the only way....

Quick Reply: Pulsating Brakes - Warping Rotors