Equinox & Terrain These SUVs offers a smaller, sportier stance than the Trailblazer, all without compromising the SUV abilities.

Chevrolet Equinox
Platform: Theta

Purge 06 Equinox coolant

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2016, 7:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Purge 06 Equinox coolant

2006 equinox coolant purge.I have gurgling in the dash/heater core. How do you purge the cooling system? Is it done thru the bleeder on the water pump? Should I loosen the cap and bleed or put pressure on it when I do it? Had a problem with the pressure cap and refilled the system. I put a vacuum on it for 30 min. released the vacuum. The coolant dropped and I thought I was done. Any thoughts? THANKS!!
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you top it back off and run it to operating temp? What was wrong with the pressure cap? You may need to fix the root cause
Old January 10th, 2016, 11:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I topped it off and sent it on its way home. It has gone about 15 miles now, I haven't heard back yet. It's my daughters car she will let me know if the noise is still there. She is like me she doesn't just drive a car she WEARS it. Very much in tune to every tiny noise vibration or smell. I think the cap was loosing pressure. I saw coolant droplets in the overflow hose. Should it self bleed the heater core after a few cycles of up to temp and cooling off?
Old January 11th, 2016, 7:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

it might self bleed when the engine is at higher rpm and if it thermocycles a few times. if not, open the bleed screw when the coolant is cold and the engine is off. if that does not work you may have to run the engine and quickly remove and install the heater core line to purge the trapped air. again, do this when the coolant is cold.

Last edited by tech2; January 11th, 2016 at 7:07 AM.